Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before i got trillion, i had a beagle named wizzard. Wizzard was my first (poorly trained) dog. I got him for my 17th birthday at 8 weeks old, i taught him all kinds of tricks, and went to the dog park with him at least once a week. I loved him so much. He was my only friend in arizona, and remained super close when i movved back to california with him, only i live in the mountains now where there is plenty of animal sents attracting him away from the house, he got out often but after wondering a few blocks he would come home, everybody in my small town knew he was my dog, as he went everywhere with me and when he was running away from home i was always close behind trying to catch him,

I got a job and he started getting preety bad seperation anxiety, it got to the point where if i wasnt home to great him back if he got out he wouldnt want to come in the house. He once got out when i was out with friends. I came home and was surprized he haddent returned my boyfriend and i went out around town looking for him and we posted signs asking where he was, two days and nothing still finnaly i got a call from a gentlemen who frequents the local liqor store they had apairently got into a discussion about my dog, and the man who works at the liqor store said a tourist family came through with wizzarrd and he had told them that he belonged here so to not be taking off with him, and they left with him and told him if they decided to keep him, they would take him to a shelter down the mountain.... I called around to shelters i knew of and none had him, til finnaly my mom mentiond a shelter someone at work had told her about.. i called them and they had my wizz! They said it would be 250 to pick him up... And 11 for every day he was there. Which was three at this point.. i diddnt have that kind of money nor did i have enough time to drive all the way there. More than two hours away, i couldnt get there before they closed it was impossible, so they told me that he goes up for adoption tomarrow and he had a week maybe more if he was lucky before he was to be put to sleep, i cried and cried and cried, my boyfriend called me and i told him the news, he said he would get wizzard out for me.. but we could have to wait til he got out of work at two and he went up for adoption at 10 so i was happy. The next morning i called them and said i would be in there a little later and they said he was up for adoption in thirty min... I exsplained that id need to wait til my boyfriend got out of work to go get him, they said it should be fine he shouldnt be adopted that quickly. I called at 11 and they said he was gone within the first thirty min. Of being up for afoption. Somebody got my dog. I cried and fell asleep and woke up realized he wassnt coming home and cried some more i was and still am so heart broken. Not long afterworks a week or so, i got trillion from my boyfriend, and everybody started saying she was a replacement dog, and a bunch of mean nasty things like how wizzard wouldnt be pleased i got another dog so soon and i just dont understand why anybody feels the need to judge, no dog will ever take the place in my heart that wizzard has, i love trillion but in no way is she going to fill the spot wizzard once had theyre two different dogs two different breeds two different personalitys.
I am happy wizzard was adopted rather than enuthinized.. but im still unhappy hes gone in the first place, but still better rehomed then reverse suctioned... Which is the type of enuthinasia they use so im told.
/end rant.

·
Registered
482 Posts
How did that beagle keep getting out while you were gone? And, if you didn't have $250 to bail your old dog out and had to ask your boyfriend for help, what if the new dog gets sick? What if your boyfriend breaks up with you or runs out of money?

I hate to be a wet blanket, but he whole situation is a bit scary to me.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Trillion looks like such a pretty and happy dog. Malamutes and Huskies can be very very stubborn... It takes a lot of work and patience to train these awesome dogs. As stated above, please take the time to make sure she does not have easy escape routes. I understand dogs can and do have high prey drives, but there are certainly ways to prevent escape situations. Best of luck! Looking forward to seeing the little one get bigger!

·
Registered
673 Posts
I wonder at your taking on a puppy when you couldn't give the first dog adequate attention, or even pay $300 to cover the adoption fee. What will you do if your dog gets injured and needs to go to the vet? What about the very necessary vet exams your pup has coming up for vaccinations, as well as neutering down the road? You didn't have the four hours needed to go pick up your dog, but you have time to raise a puppy from a breed that's notoriously difficult to train/prone to roaming?

I'm sorry about what happened to your dog, but I hope you won't be letting your new one out unsupervised. This whole thing seems...sort of childish, somehow? I hope Wizzard is in a home that can give him what he needs, and that Trillion will be raised properly so as to avoid further problems like this.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As a beagle in the forrest the problem was recall and my moms large dog breaking the fence so they could get through my moms dog is a lab greyhound mix, he would be let out to do his bussness and if he wasnt let back in within a few min he would break the fence or jump the fence and sit at the front door to come inside.
He hates going outside. Even to potty and with so many holes in the fence id let wizzard out into the yard and he would just slip through the gates hole and be on a sent.
Allthough im sure if i could magicaly get his attention when he was on a sent he may not have gotten far but the fact is, that day i wasnt even home. My sister let him out to go to the bathroom and didnt bother to check on him or let him back in... Shes six mind you... Wasnt til later my parents realized he hadnt been around and they called me to tell me he was missing.

Trillions breed is suborn and as im told their recall isnt that great either, when they run they run.
Allthough she knows her name and will come when called if she got out i verry much doubt she would come back as happily as she does indoors. Then again shes never been in the backyard, only the front.. so i dont worry about her getting out of the yard.
On top of that i dont think anybody visiting a place for vacation should take any animals they believe to be homeless let alone away from the place they found them.... If you find a dog you believe to be homeless take him to a shelter neerby if you must intervien. Not one hours away.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didnt make this post in order to be attacked by old mistakes i think im paying for the price of that now with him being gone thanks. I just posted to vent a little.

·
Registered
111 Posts
It is not that anybody is attacking you. I can't speak for everybody else obviously, but I was just concerned that you understand that a puppy, and in particular a puppy of a stubborn breed will be difficult. I just want to make sure that you are working on training and adequately stimulating the new pup. If the pup isn't mentally and physically stimulated enough, she will try to find her own games or adventures, and quite possibly go running off into the woods. Just lending you my advice.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
THAT DOG. Has a name and it's wizzard. He got out from holes in the fence. I didnt have to ask him, he offered to get him because he knew how much wizzard ment to me, if trillion gets sick she goes to the vet, our vet has a payment program. If he breaks up with me, i still have a job to make payments for anything she may need from the vet, i dont see how he can run out of money since he has a stable job as a dental assistant. And even if he did. Once again i still have a job. It was a scary situation to be in, my hands were tied for the day.

I dont have a time machine nor a car that can safely go record speeds to pick him up before they closed.
If they close at six and im talking to them at five and it takes two hours minimum to get there, do you think i can make it?

It may seem childish to you to be upset but wizzard was the first dog i had ever owned or my family had ever had in their house i proly hadnt done the homework on having a dog then but i know more now than when i first started. Three years ago.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mighty achilles, that comment wasnt really directed twords you, you offerd insight without being harsh or snappy about it. And i thank you for that.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
This is a dog forum, not the general public, which means that many of us will be super concerned over the welfare of a dog and that's what you're getting with these responses. I understand your needing/wanting to rant as everybody needs to sometimes but do consider the circumstances and the place that you've chosen to do it in. You gave this rant on a forum with people who would probably sell their possessions to get their dog back from that situation, I know I would. Again, nobody is trying to be mean here, we're just concerned over the welfare of the dog. I am very sorry for the loss of your dog, Wizard (or is it two Z's on purpose?) as I can only imagine that going through that was incredibly painful. However I think that the responses here are not only out of concern that it may happen to Trillion but are out of concern because Trillion is of a breed that is known to love to run and have poor recall. It sounds like you have thought the care of Trillion a little more through but what about the holes in the fence? Are they patched? Or do you just never let Trillion out in the back yard? Huskies/malamutes are big dogs with lots of energy, they need ways and opportunities to run and move around, does she get that? What if she does get out and the same thing happens, will you be able to retrieve her from the shelter or will the same story happen again?

Also, there is no shame in getting a new dog right after losing one. Many people lose a dog and get a new puppy within the next 3 or 4 months. However, it sounds like you didn't put any thought into getting this puppy because it was a gift from your boyfriend due to your sadness over the loss of Wizard. That, to me, is a replacement dog. I'm not saying that you replaced your dog but your boyfriend sure tried to. I mean, whose going to say no to a puppy, especially one as adorable as Trillion?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Make sure you have a collar on trillion with contact info. When your dog runs away and someone finds it they can call you instead of taking it to a shelter.

It sounds like if Wizzzard had a collar with your contact info you wouldn't be in the situation you are in now. Tourists find a dog the think is stray, they see the collar with your phone number, they call you, you come pick your dog up and everyone is happy.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I think you should assess on whether you can handle this puppy. A big dog like a husky/malamute is going to be a LOT harder to control than a beagle. No one here is attacking you, but the well being of dogs always comes first here. It seems that what happened to Wizzard could have been prevented with a collar, tag, and leash. If you know he runs away and has bad recall, you have to take every step possible to prevent escape. People aren't being mean when they think of him as a replacement dog, that is just what it seems like. A week is basically no time in between animals. This is going to be a tough journey for you.

By the way, I understand your vet has a payment program, but sometimes they won't do it if it is less than something like 300 or 500 dollars. Also, what an emergency happens and you have to go to the after-hours vet? That is usually $85 dollars just for walking in. Things happen with pets where you don't have the luxury of a payment plan. If you aren't prepared to possibly spend a few hundred dollars, I HIGHLY suggest you start saving up now. Don't rely on a payment plan. Be prepared to sell stuff to pay for you dog.

Example: I got a new puppy about two weeks ago. I bought the insurance and figured I was set. That very night he gets sick, and of course the insurance hadn't been approved yet. I had to sell a bracelet at a pawn shop to pay for an emergency visit. And even if the insurance had gone through, here was a 250 deductible, meaning I pay 250 and then they may cover the rest. I would still of had to pay $250 dollars. Your vets payment plan may have one too. If you have an emergency where he gets hurt and you have to pay up thousands of dollars for surgery, I can almost guarantee you it won't be as easy as just paying the vet $100 dollars back every month.

I do not mean ANY harshness whatsoever. I understand the heartbreak of losing a dog and how a puppy can make it better, however, a dog is a living creature so his well being is going to mean more to us here than your feelings. No one is going to attack you, but they will tell you the facts straight. It is harsh because no one wants to here they aren't prepared for a puppy, but the fact is sometimes people just don't have the resources necessary to pay for care.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Make sure you have a collar on trillion with contact info. When your dog runs away and someone finds it they can call you instead of taking it to a shelter.

It sounds like if Wizzzard had a collar with your contact info you wouldn't be in the situation you are in now. Tourists find a dog the think is stray, they see the collar with your phone number, they call you, you come pick your dog up and everyone is happy.

Better yet, spend $25 and get Trillion MICROCHIPPED. Then get him into a GOOD puppy K and start training him ASAP. Patch the holes and do NOT allow your new pup to be outside unsupervised EVER.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Don't listen to people saying things about a "replacement dog". If you felt ready for another dog, that's your choice...... Are you ready? I hope so.
I really hope you are taking the advice here and doing what is needed to keep history from repeating itself. I'll say I don't feel sorry for you. I tried to put myself in the same type of situation. If my dog ever got out, the problem(s) would be fixed pronto. If I couldn't fix the problem(s) i'd re-home the dog myself to a safer home before it got to the point of someone else doing it for me. There's a lot of good info on this site to read & learn. Good luck with Trillion.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
I do not mean ANY harshness whatsoever. I understand the heartbreak of losing a dog and how a puppy can make it better, however, a dog is a living creature so his well being is going to mean more to us here than your feelings. No one is going to attack you, but they will tell you the facts straight. It is harsh because no one wants to here they aren't prepared for a puppy, but the fact is sometimes people just don't have the resources necessary to pay for care.

DING DING DING!

People here are very blunt, we don't pull our punches at all when it comes to the well being of dogs.

·
Registered
246 Posts
K, I'm not going to comment on how the dog ended up at the shelter or anything else that's already been covered....but am I the only one who finds it odd the shelter wouldn't stop the clock and hold a dog that's been identified as belonging to someone? For even ONE more day? They've laid out that they're charging a daily rate for the care and keeping of the dog, what's one more day?

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Better yet, spend $25 and get Trillion MICROCHIPPED. Then get him into a GOOD puppy K and start training him ASAP. Patch the holes and do NOT allow your new pup to be outside unsupervised EVER.
Never letting the dog out unsupervised is great. I know I wouldn't -ever. A microchip is an even better idea ALONGSIDE tags. However - the only flaw with this is that even if you do patch the holes - Mals/Huskies are diggers and will go right under that fence - best bet is to put concrete down. Oh - they'll also just as easily clear a 6 foot fence just some other things to consider. Hell, if she gets as big as a Mal she'll be causing a lot more damage than that Greyhound mix. (I'm also sorry to say that leaving the holes unfixed and letting a dog out offleash that is known to have poor recall was an extremely irresponsible thing to do)

I had to sell a bracelet at a pawn shop to pay for an emergency visit.
^^^ Most people will do ANYTHING to get their dog(s) back/healthy. I know if it was my girl I'd pawn/sell anything and everything I could to get her out/back from a shelter or to make sure she was healthy.

but am I the only one who finds it odd the shelter wouldn't stop the clock and hold a dog that's been identified as belonging to someone?
I saw that too and kind of tilted my head to one side and was like "wut"

If you thought trying to call off Wizzard from a scent was hard - you're in for a whole different type of challenge now. Especially if she's chasing an animal - then what? These dogs were not bred to work beside humans (such as herders). Stubborn and independent don't even scratch the surface.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
K, I'm not going to comment on how the dog ended up at the shelter or anything else that's already been covered....but am I the only one who finds it odd the shelter wouldn't stop the clock and hold a dog that's been identified as belonging to someone? For even ONE more day? They've laid out that they're charging a daily rate for the care and keeping of the dog, what's one more day?
Here's the thing about working shelter/rescue- if you've heard it once, you've heard it a thousand times before and 90% of the time, it's lies. People who work in rescue tend to have a very dim view of humanity for a reason. People call all the time crying and carrying on about their precious dog, oh, give me more time, oh, please just one more day!, what, $300, that is a lot of money, you know. Then they string you along, day after day, then a month has gone by, the poor dog's been languishing in a small concrete kennel for the whole time and nobody's picking up the dog.

Honestly, OP, I'm a bit concerned about this situation, too. Beagles are much easier dogs than malamutes, and all that heartbreak with Wizzard could have been prevented with a $10 tag. and if you don't see why your boyfriend's money may disappear, well, several thousand generations of women forced to rely on men for money would like to have a word with you.

·
Registered
111 Posts
If you thought trying to call off Wizzard from a scent was hard - you're in for a whole different type of challenge now. Especially if she's chasing an animal - then what? These dogs were not bred to work beside humans (such as herders). Stubborn and independent don't even scratch the surface.
Achilles usually has pretty good recall, but if you let it get to that obsessive point where they are focused on nothing but the scent/ chase.... forget about it.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts