Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there! :wave:
I was posting about trick training,
my pup is very smart and loves learning and playing, so I would love to teach him a few tricks.

Have any of you guys tought your dogs tricks?
What did you teach them?
How did you teach them that trick?

- Kay

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Leeo is no longer with me .... but I taught him and his Brother Blu Boy to dance in circles like ballerinas! I can say "Do Pretties!" and they will spin in circles. I used treats to train this. I would hold the treat up and they would stand on their back legs .... I would have them follow the treat around by placing it slightly behind their heads and making them spin slowly. Eventually they learned it on cue .... just for the asking. They are good boys! :D

I taught Leeo to sing on cue. He began howling at a harmonica. I used it to my advantage and used treats and put it on cue! That was fun! I would howl along with him and tell him "Sing Leeo! Sing!" ... I would howl ... and he would follow suit! He was a smart Boy! :D Eventually all I had to do was say "Sing Leeo! Sing!"

Leeo doing "Pretties!" .......

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
That is too cute, Abbylynn!

Kabota plays dead, twirls and barks on command. I going to try high five next.

I use clicker training. It's the best way to teach tricks, because you can use it to shape offered behaviors into the trick you want.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Biscuit can:

Sit, down, play dead, touch your hand with her nose
Give paw
Twirl in both directions
"Hug" (puts her head on your lap"
"Stick em up" (sit up on her back legs)
"Curtsy" (down dog position - back legs straight, front legs bent)
Put both her front feet in a box
Leave several treats placed on her paws
Blow bubbles in a bowl of water

I also use clicker training and shaping. Definitely the best way to go for tricks! We taught the foot-box trick and the bubble-blowing trick, in particular, with shaping. We're now working on "roll over" and "cross your paws."

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
She knows:
sit
figure 8(weaves through my legs)
around
circle
touch
nose
stay
down
bow
back up
heel
jump
crawl
stand
fetch (insert name of object)
and lots of rally and obedience cues.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Biscuit can:

Sit, down, play dead, touch your hand with her nose
Give paw
Twirl in both directions
"Hug" (puts her head on your lap"
"Stick em up" (sit up on her back legs)
"Curtsy" (down dog position - back legs straight, front legs bent)
Put both her front feet in a box
Leave several treats placed on her paws
Blow bubbles in a bowl of water

I also use clicker training and shaping. Definitely the best way to go for tricks! We taught the foot-box trick and the bubble-blowing trick, in particular, with shaping. We're now working on "roll over" and "cross your paws."
Clicker training is amazing. We were trying to learn the blowing bubbles in a bowl of water, but I'd given him a bowl/container to play with to work on Toby's free-thinking, not sure what you call it, but to let him figure out what to do for a click - and it ended up being the two paws in the box/bowl/container etc so anything I put on the floor now that's similar he puts his feet in! Didn't get to do the bubbles cause he just wants to put his paws in it!

But yeah, Toby can:
Sit
Lay down (down and settle)
Drop (drops straight down)
Bow (Like hamandegg's "curtsy")
Roll over
Beg
Hello (he makes a funny noise that somewhat sounds like 'hello')
Whisper (like saying hello, but no noise comes out much it's more mouthing it, so it sounds like a whisper :p)
Clean up (he puts his toys away back in his toy box)
Stick 'Em Up (sitting on back legs, paws in air)
Bang (plays dead)
Weave (weaves through my legs)
Legs (he comes around my side and goes behind me then sits in between my legs looking up at me, if that makes sense?)
He rings a bird bell thing at the door when he wants to go outside
Touch (touches your closed fist)
Paws up (he'll put his paws up on whatever you're pointing at)
Get up (he'll jump up on whatever you're pointing at)
Nudge (he'll nudge an object or push it etc)

Um, not sure what else. There's quite a few things, other basics like off, leave it, let it go, thank you, enough etc. But we have way too much fun with trick training.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I trick train with all my dogs. Tricks are alot of fun, and a great way to interact and bond, never mind tire them out!

Here's some videos I've done with my dogs (I have alot, but I'll just post a few of the best compilations :) )

Everything Oliver knows up till last month (I could add a few more now :) )

Some of Mouse's tricks (but definitely not all)

And Scout (with an appearance by Mouse and Boo LOL)

·
Registered
1,959 Posts

·
Banned
964 Posts
I trick train with all my dogs. Tricks are alot of fun, and a great way to interact and bond, never mind tire them out!

Here's some videos I've done with my dogs (I have alot, but I'll just post a few of the best compilations :) )

Everything Oliver knows up till last month (I could add a few more now :) )

Some of Mouse's tricks (but definitely not all)

And Scout (with an appearance by Mouse and Boo LOL)
Awesome!
Thats gotta take a lotta time and dedication!

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Sydney know sit, stay, shake, lay down, roll over, stand, spin and play dead ("bang bang!"). I've been working on teaching her to put her toys back into her toy basket using freeshaping which has been a whole lot of fun! But I haven't worked on it in about a month since I've been settling down from two moves. I need to make a video of the tricks she knows sometime soon.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
After lots of work and several months I am pleased to announce that Pete knows..... Sit!!!
He's not the sharpest knife, really more of a spoon... but he's an expert cuddler so all is forgiven.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Lets see.

Heel
drop it
leave it
put em up
high five
shake
speak
shut the door
"watch that bad guy"-they run to the window and stare down people going past
bring your ball
stay on command until released to retrieve whatever I through
pump it up- Mae will stand on her two hind legs jumping,lol.
Twirl-spin on her hind legs

I am working with Bentley on bringing my phone because I am lazy and hate getting up to get it,lol.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I am working with Bentley on bringing my phone because I am lazy and hate getting up to get it,lol.
I've been wanting to do this too! Every time my phone goes off with an email/text/call anything, Toby will run over to it and stare at it. So, next step is just to make him bring it to me! Haha

·
Registered
232 Posts
Awesome!
Thats gotta take a lotta time and dedication!
nope, 10 minutes every couple of days or so, per dog. My dogs are lucky if I spend 1/2 an hour a week on each of them. The thing about true clicker training (Shaping and free shaping , not luring) is it takes no time at all for a dog to learn a simple trick. chaining and proofing can take a bit longer, but learning a one or 2 step trick doesn't take much time at all. It's a myth that trick training takes so much time :) And my deaf dogs take no longer to learn a trick than my hearing dogs, and infact Mouse takes considerably less. the only limits to her training is me trying to figure out a cue she can see :)

·
Registered
173 Posts
And exactly how do you get this going on? A trainer that we work with Rosie is interested in teaching her tricks to use up her energy and mind power. I just don't know where to start.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
The thing about true clicker training (Shaping and free shaping , not luring) is it takes no time at all for a dog to learn a simple trick. chaining and proofing can take a bit longer, but learning a one or 2 step trick doesn't take much time at all. It's a myth that trick training takes so much time :)
So true.

Frequently, people will comment "wow, how long did it take you to teach that?", and my usual reply is "about 3 or 4 minutes total". Once you have a good working foundation and you know the right strings to pull, things can progress quite quickly. And personally, for trick behaviours I like to take the shortest most direct route that gets us to where we're going. I believe sometimes, in certain instances, there is a proper way to lump (yikes! I can already hear the purists recoiling with gasps of horror, lol).

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Can anyone recommend a good book for trick training? Snowball has most of his basic commands (sit, stay, down, heel, come, wait, touch). He knows "leave it" from his prior life, but its not solid as we haven't started working on it yet (probably this week). It'd be nice to start doing other tricks too, but I have no experience with how to teach them.

·
Registered
232 Posts
hmmn, I would be inclined to tell you to read "Reaching the Animal Mind" by Karen Pryor before anything else. that will give you a base understanding of Clicker Training. Then go from there. I'm on a trick training forum that helped me immensely! And depending on where in Alberta you are, there are some great clicker trainers with trick classes, which would be alot of fun too :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts