Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the vet with Kina this morning. I had noticed that her right eye has been leaking more then the other. The vet noticed that it appears irritated and prescribed some ointment for it.

I have to apply it twice a day.

Well....easier said than done on a 15 week old pup that will not stop moving!

Does anyone have any tricks? I was able to get a bit in, by getting her interested in a treat and smudging it in her eye.

Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Kneel on ground. Put her between your legs. Grasp gently the chin/cheek feathers with fingers and use the thumb on that hand (placed below the eye) to pull the lower eye lid out. You are basically using a "smudging motion" on the skin below the eye to apply tension to the skin. You are not touching the eyelid, but rubbing the skin below it. With the other hand squeeze a little of the ointment into the pocket that is created between the eye and lower eyelid. If you keep the heel of your hand (with the ointment) presses against her forehead, you won't jab her in the eye if she moves.

Hope that makes sense.

Be sure to not touch the end of the ointment tube to her eye/eyelid. (If you are concerned about that, put some ointment on the end of your gloved finger. Do not reuse gloves.

·
Registered
12 Posts
"Well....easier said than done on a 15 week old pup that will not stop moving!" I had the same problem with my 12 yr old dog last year! :) It's not easy that's for sure..

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I'll try that. Last evening, I got some everywhere except her eye!!

I had DH hold her this morning, but it's just for her second dose, I'm alone with her.

She just won't keep her head steady, I just wish I could put her in a head lock!!

And as soon as she sees me coming with the tube, she bolts!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts