Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Tricks of the Month for May will be to teach your dog to lick their lips on command and to open a closed door.

The "beginner" trick will be the licking of the lips. One way to teach this would be to capture the behaviour, just like the barking trick. You could start by smearing a bit of peanut butter on the dog's lips, and clicking for the lick. Or, if your dog licks its lips when it is hungry, get out a bowl of something yummy and wait for the lick.

The "advanced" trick will be to teach your dog how to open a closed door. The type of door you use will depend on how you proceed. If you want your dog to eventually learn how to open the fridge for example, you might decide to tie a rag or rope to the door handle for the dog to pull on, and so the dog will need to learn how to tug. There are many ways to teach this, so be creative!

As with the previous months, questions, videos, comments, and alternate methods of accomplishing the tricks are encouraged! Have fun with it, and it doesn't matter if you end up with a well-polished trick at the end of the month or not! As long as you and your dog are having fun, that's all that matters!

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Woot - another one Wally knows how to do.

He's able to open doors, unless they are fully closed (then you have to turn the knob/slide the handle - and he's too short to do either of those things, and I don't know if he'll have the strength to pull the fridge door open). The way he figured it out (and he did figure this out on his own) was to make a crack for his nose to get through, then push with his muzzle to make the door open. He'll stand up and lean on the door to open it/make the crack at times or reach a paw and try to grab.

How did I teach him to figure it out? I put him behind a door with a crack in it and called him from the other side of it. He had to figure out how to get out when whining didn't work and scratching didn't work. He worked himself into a tizzy trying to get out and stumbled across the method he uses.

Now he'll bark or whine if for some reason he can't get to the door or it won't open.

Licking lips...never tried this one before. Hardest part for me will be catching the lick. I don't usually look at what his tongue is doing (or what he's doing with it :p ) so that will be something I'd need to work on :) Licking his nose is about the only thing I look for tongue-wise (calming signal).

If this trick was licking my hair or licking the skin off my face on cue (the cue being my head in reach of his tongue :rolleyes:) - well we'd be set for May already! :D

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I'm so excited about this! I'll have to decide on a dog to use for this (or maybe I'll do it with a couple of them).

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Haha, sounds like Wally has a "paw" up on the competition this month!

Glad to hear you are excited, FourIsCompany! Please share your progress!

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I started with the lick training today. Thing is, I like to teach all four (one at a time of course), so I may have some real time invested in it. I think Cara is getting it but I'm not sure. After a treat is given, there is some lip-licking just as a matter of course after eating a treat. This may take some time. LOL

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Haha, sounds like Wally has a "paw" up on the competition this month!
We'll see - he might just give back any advantage with the lip licking at this point.

I tried the get something yummy and wait - and he:

sat
laid down
barked
wagged his tail and barked
pawed me
pawed me hard like a cat and my leg being the scratching post
stuck his paw out in front of him
waved
stood on hind legs
nose touched my leg
nipped my toenails :eek:
whined
looked for something to pick up
every thing but lick anything LOL

Tried to put it on his lips and he licked it off...my fingers - never made it to the lips. Wally's having fun - and I'm trying to figure out how to "beat the tongue" so I can get the finger to the lips!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, Libby and I have started working on "Lick". Yesterday we did our third session. Basically, what I have done so far is to grab some food, a clicker, and then wait. And wait. And wait...

She started off by just staring at me. Then, she started offering behaviours (sit, down, stand, sit again, wave, etc.) Then, she started to get frustrated and started whining or yipping at me (I guess I could have taught her to speak, lol). I ignored all of this. FINALLY she licked her lips, and I clicked and treated!

Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending) every time I give her a treat she licks her lips after. So, we got into a very fast loop off click-treat-lick-click-treat-lick. However, I was not sure if she really understood what I was rewarding her for, so I started to withhold the click for a more deliberate lick. It worked! End session one.

Session two started much the same way, except the waiting period was much shorter. Again I did a bunch of rapid-fire clicks and treats, and then started to withhold the clicks for better licks. Shortly after that I started to say the word "lick" as she licked.

Now, sesssion 3: The video starts with the waiting. I cut a good minute of it out as it's pretty boring, and I asked her for a sit to get the licks rolling. At the end of the clip I press my luck a bit and ask for the behaviour by name, and she did it!

After this clip I took a break from the licks and did some other tricks with her. Then, we went back to it. This time I asked for the lick with no warm-up and she offered the behaviour! Jackpot for Libby! Haha, sorry the video ends so abruptly, but instead of clicking the clicker, I "clicked" the shutter button, ending the video... at least I can see from this that my timing has improved! ROFL

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Great job, Libby! I've been working with Cara on the lick and she's pretty much got it. What fun!

I had the same problem as you did, Squeeker, so I just clicked on the tongue straight out. She looks like she's sticking her tongue out at me. :p

Cara has hip dysplasia so it's hard for her to sit.

The video is pretty choppy because I took out the waiting and the other dogs interrupted a couple times. I added the cue somewhere in the middle, then discovered that I wasn't recording! D'oh. But it's added at the end.

Cara Licking

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Lick Video in previous post. :)

Today I worked with Jaia on opening the door. I wanted to tie a cloth around the handle and have him tug on that to open, but I couldn't get him interested in tugging on the cloth. I tried another tug toy and a Wubba, but he just couldn't connect it. I finally hit on the right toy. The Flying Squirrel.

I got him tugging on the squirrel, then held the cloth in the same hand so that he sometimes would get the cloth in his mouth too. Those tugs got jackpot.

In our afternoon session, I stood in the same place as I had been with the squirrel, but I had just the cloth in my hand. He picked it up right away. Then I went to the cupboard with the cloth and held it down by the handle. A few tugs on that, and then I connected the cloth to the handle.

This video is of the final steps with me adding the cue. It's cut up, of course, because of some waiting and interruptions. (With 3 other dogs and a husband, it's hard to work uninterrupted.) :p

Jaia Opening the Door

Jaia always looks forlorn. I swear, I wasn't beating him. LOL

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great job, Libby! I've been working with Cara on the lick and she's pretty much got it. What fun!

I had the same problem as you did, Squeeker, so I just clicked on the tongue straight out. She looks like she's sticking her tongue out at me.
Haha, what a cute lick she has! I would say she certainly has it...

I am actually going to eventually only click for the jowl-licking ones as sometimes Libby's flappers get caught up in her teeth and she looks like a doofus, especially when I am trying to take a nice photo. I am hoping that I will be able to use the "lick" command to get her to fix her lips herself, lol!

Today I worked with Jaia on opening the door. I wanted to tie a cloth around the handle and have him tug on that to open, but I couldn't get him interested in tugging on the cloth. I tried another tug toy and a Wubba, but he just couldn't connect it. I finally hit on the right toy. The Flying Squirrel.

I got him tugging on the squirrel, then held the cloth in the same hand so that he sometimes would get the cloth in his mouth too. Those tugs got jackpot.

In our afternoon session, I stood in the same place as I had been with the squirrel, but I had just the cloth in my hand. He picked it up right away. Then I went to the cupboard with the cloth and held it down by the handle. A few tugs on that, and then I connected the cloth to the handle.
Wow, he picked up on that right away! He looks pro! I liked the idea of putting a little treat in the cupboard, too... just watch out he doesn't learn to help himself to snacks!

I actually started working on this tonight with Libby as well, but I didn't videotape as I really didn't think she would get it as quickly as she did.

I started off with a cloth. I quickly shaped her to hold it in her mouth (we have done this many times before while working on her retrieve) so it only took a couple of reps. Then, I took her into the kitchen and tied the cloth to the cupboard handle. I very quickly shaped her to hold it in this configuration, and then simply told her to "back up" (ie walk backward) while it was still in her mouth. Much to my surprise... it worked! I hadn't really expected it to, but thought I would try anyway. I was amazed! Libby was a bit surprised when the door popped open (the cupboards have little latching mechanisms inside so they make a clicking sound when opening and closing), but I just jackpotted her and she decided that it wasn't scary. We did this a few times and I ended it there. I will do more this week and make a video!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I found some free time this evening and made a little video of Libby's progress with opening the door. I will be adding the cue "open" in our next session.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks like Libby's doing great. She's a pretty girl.
Thanks!

We did more practicing this week. Opening and closing doors is Libby's new favourite trick! She just loves it! She's so eager! I have added the cue, and actually have her opening the fridge now, too!

Here's a video of Libby opening and closing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts