Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Tricks of the Month for June will be to teach your dog to cross their paws and "beg" or "sit pretty".

The "beginner" trick will be "cross paws". The idea is to get the dog to lay down on the floor (or stand) and cross one front paw over the other. Here are some videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLckkHx-peA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GlctAeBv44&feature=related

The "advanced" trick will be "Sit Pretty", or "Beg". The objective is to have the dog sit on its haunches on the floor, with the front legs up off the floor.

Again, some videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xr4FkHF7xEE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG8YnHYHo3k&feature=related

As with the previous months, questions, videos, comments, and alternate methods of accomplishing the tricks are encouraged! Have fun with it, and it doesn't matter if you end up with a well-polished trick at the end of the month or not! As long as you and your dog are having fun, that's all that matters!

·
Registered
743 Posts
I'm bound and determined to actually participate this month, now that I'm out of school for the summer! Buck and Jake both already know beg, but I've been wanting to teach Cross Paws :D

From what I've read and watched it's easiest to teach it with paw targeting... I'll have to teach Jake to paw target first of all I guess.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Those videos are GREAT! I didn't know there were such good videos out there. Looking forward to this month's work!

Thanks for doing this, Squeeker!

·
Registered
743 Posts
Jake and I worked on some paw targeting last night. I'm not sure whether to name the behavior of him slapping with his left paw (it'd be 'Slap it') and figure out how to phase it into the name of the behavior when I get rid of the card, or just leave it unnamed for now... the problem I have is when I go to teach it with him crossing his paws the other way, wouldn't he get confused? I'm new to this whole using paw targeting thing to teach behaviors, so any tips would be wonderful.

I recorded a part of our target training. He does 'beg' and 'bang'(other trick we're working on) at the end too, although he was being uncooperative with Beg. The whole first part is paw targeting though, so if I'm doing something wrong please tell me.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I don't have any advice or criticism, I just wanted to say that Jake is adorable! He's really a beautiful dog!

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I worked with Jaia and B'asia yesterday, on the cross paws trick, but I couldn't get them to budge with their paws. They kept poking it with their nose, licking it, biting it... Just couldn't figure out that I wanted the PAW! Today, we had more success. I worked with Jaia, using a target stick with a ball on the end. I had him sit and lie down and would sneak the ball in under his foot while he was situating himself to lie down and then click as soon as his foot touched it. He FINALLY got it! LOL Now, there's no stopping him!

Interesting thing is... Cara was lying there watching the whole time, so after a few minutes with Jaia, I had her come over and she came, sat down and SLAMMED her paw on that ball! LOL She learned from watching him!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Libby and I did our first session tonight on these tricks. I decided to use a playing card (thanks for the idea!), she too was trying to nudge it with her nose, tongue, snout... we have never done paw targeting before. She got so frustrated that she did a "bang" (play dead) in desperation, and then wouldn't get up, LOL! I decided that this wasn't going to work, so I gave her a break and when we started again I had her sit and then asked for a "shake a paw" with the card in my hand and she touched it that way, so click and treat. Did that a few times and then offered my hand with the card in it and she continued to paw target! Woohoo! After she did that a few times I put her in a "down" position and she continued to target. I had her targeting with her right paw across her left by the end.

We did a bit of "sit pretty" as well. I am luring her into the position, and she is able to maintain the position for about a second at most. It's going to take a while, I think.

Jake and I worked on some paw targeting last night. I'm not sure whether to name the behavior of him slapping with his left paw (it'd be 'Slap it') and figure out how to phase it into the name of the behavior when I get rid of the card, or just leave it unnamed for now... the problem I have is when I go to teach it with him crossing his paws the other way, wouldn't he get confused? I'm new to this whole using paw targeting thing to teach behaviors, so any tips would be wonderful.

I recorded a part of our target training. He does 'beg' and 'bang'(other trick we're working on) at the end too, although he was being uncooperative with Beg. The whole first part is paw targeting though, so if I'm doing something wrong please tell me.
Looks good! I can't criticize... I am only as far along as you are. I am not sure how I am going to handle the other foot, either.

Interesting thing is... Cara was lying there watching the whole time, so after a few minutes with Jaia, I had her come over and she came, sat down and SLAMMED her paw on that ball! LOL She learned from watching him!
Haha, that is so neat! I had no idea that they could learn that way.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I had her targeting with her right paw across her left by the end.
Did you just work with one paw? Jaia has the motion down, but he targets with whichever paw is convenient. So if I put the ball outside his paws, he uses the paw that's closest...

In this short video, he's targeting with his right paw, so I put the ball on top of his left foot. He continued to do it right. But when I move the ball slightly to the outside of his paws, he uses his other paw...

Any suggestions? Am I just trying to move too fast?

Jaia Cross

·
Registered
743 Posts
Did you just work with one paw? Jaia has the motion down, but he targets with whichever paw is convenient. So if I put the ball outside his paws, he uses the paw that's closest...

In this short video, he's targeting with his right paw, so I put the ball on top of his left foot. He continued to do it right. But when I move the ball slightly to the outside of his paws, he uses his other paw...

Any suggestions? Am I just trying to move too fast?

Jaia Cross
I can't see the video, but it sounds like you're just going a little too fast. I can get Jake to cross his paw over, but at the moment I'm still just working on having him only hit the target with his right paw so that he has that solid and I can set him up for success before moving on. I'm having the same problem every now and then, but I just figured I needed to keep it up with only rewarding for his right paw and it seems to be working.

ETA: OK, the video decided to work right after I posted that... lol. Jaia is GORGEOUS, by the way!

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I can't see the video, but it sounds like you're just going a little too fast.
I think you're right. I am going to start rewarding only for the right paw. I'm too impatient sometimes! Thanks!

Jaia is GORGEOUS, by the way!
Oh, thank you. I think so, too! :eek:

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can't see the video, but it sounds like you're just going a little too fast. I can get Jake to cross his paw over, but at the moment I'm still just working on having him only hit the target with his right paw so that he has that solid and I can set him up for success before moving on. I'm having the same problem every now and then, but I just figured I needed to keep it up with only rewarding for his right paw and it seems to be working.
Ditto what they said... I was going to type pretty much the exact same thing until I saw this, LOL

·
Registered
743 Posts
Okay... not sure what to make of this? Working with Jake yesterday I noticed that if I just tap to the other side of his left paw and he notices, he'll cross his right over. Should I just let him keep at that? I think this came from the fact that I would tap the card when I was training the paw touch, so it became a cue without me noticing it...

What do you guys think? Should I go back with a different object and rework the targeting without me tapping it every time, or just keep up with the finger tapping until I switch the cue for the behavior? It'll be me crossing my own feet, I just decided to use the one from Kikopup's vid since it made sense.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay... not sure what to make of this? Working with Jake yesterday I noticed that if I just tap to the other side of his left paw and he notices, he'll cross his right over. Should I just let him keep at that? I think this came from the fact that I would tap the card when I was training the paw touch, so it became a cue without me noticing it...

What do you guys think? Should I go back with a different object and rework the targeting without me tapping it every time, or just keep up with the finger tapping until I switch the cue for the behavior? It'll be me crossing my own feet, I just decided to use the one from Kikopup's vid since it made sense.
I don't think it matters, personally. You can either start over with a new object, or just fade the tapping (as you would fade a lure). The latter may be faster assuming your dog is operant and will offer behaviour.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I don't know about Jake, but starting over might confuse Jaia. Once you add the vocal cue, you can change the physical signal to crossing your legs. That's a cute idea. :)

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here are the beginnings of "cross paws" and "sit pretty"

First, cross paws:

And sit pretty: for some reason, at the end, she decided to try playing dead instead of sitting pretty... it's her favourite behaviour to offer for some reason!

·
Banned
220 Posts
My update:

Have had three 5 minute sessions on the crossing paws with Maddie.
I havent seen the video, but what I was doing was saying "Cross" and then crossing her paws, saying "Good cross" and she gets a treat. She decided at the end of one of the sessions that it was shake time-but she would just give a smaller shake probably because my hand was closer. So I decided to gently hold one paw down since she wanted to shake with that one, and put my hand where I want her other paw to be. Two sessions later, still at square one. To be expected. I switched paws over on session 3 and she started getting it right away. She won't do it on command, but she will lift her paw up and place it on top of the other paw (not all the way crossed over, but still right on top).
So proud of her.

We're on our way :)

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Squeeker, that looks great. That second video was funny when she decided to play dead instead. LOL

MaddietheDog, it sounds like you're at about the same place we are on the crossed paws. Jaia is putting his right foot on top of his left. I'm only rewarding right paw action and he got that right away.

I'm working with Mia on the sit pretty because she is so athletic and eager to please. It's coming along fine. I'll have to get some video in the next couple days.

FUN! :D

·
Registered
743 Posts
Sounds like everyone's doing great so far! I just had another session with Jake, and I think we've had a small breakthrough. He started offering his paws crossed! I'll get a video later and put it up.

Oh, and Squeeker, about the 'play dead' thing... Jake does that too! If he gets tired of shuffling his paws around figuring out what I want he'll roll onto his side, put his head down and play dead instead. Very convincing except for his tail wagging:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 59 Posts