Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
It depends on what you're using to judge "best" (I'm am VERY much looking forward to seeing everyone's answers and hopefully a video or two. What a great idea).

I'd say the most useful behavior my dogs know is "touch." It can be used as a recall, as a lure for training other tricks, as a polite way to greet strangers...it's the mulitool of my training.

·
Registered
17,901 Posts
Really depends on what you mean by best, I guess.

The ones that impress people most are weaving through my legs, jumping over my arms, or into my arms.

The most useful for ME are stay and recall.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Best can be whatever you define it as, I suppose. :) My dogs do all the basics(Shy is still in training), but what seems to impress people the most, so far, is Chance jumping through a hoop or jumping into my arms (he's small and weighs a whopping 10 lbs lol). Right now we're working on balancing a treat on his nose. :)

I'm very eager and interested in everyone's answers. Dog training is very fun, in my opinion, and I'm always interested in how others work with their dogs. :)

·
Registered
17,901 Posts
Best can be whatever you define it as, I suppose. :) My dogs do all the basics(Shy is still in training), but what seems to impress people the most, so far, is Chance jumping through a hoop or jumping into my arms (he's small and weighs a whopping 10 lbs lol). Right now we're working on balancing a treat on his nose. :)

I'm very eager and interested in everyone's answers. Dog training is very fun, in my opinion, and I'm always interested in how others work with their dogs. :)
If you go to domorewithyourdogs.com and check on the applications, you'll find an ENORMOUS list of tricks. It's really fun to work through.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
It's not the most useful by any means, but my favorite is backing up in heel position. Because Squash really loves it for some reason and it makes him jolly.

The most useful are probably directional right/left commands (Gee/Haw). It's surprising how often they come in handy in everyday life.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Well, we don't have it perfected yet, but we've started working on "bang bang" from standing on two hind legs, which is pretty fun.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I haven't been great at taking the time to teach tricks. He can do sit, lay down, shake, bang bang. We are working (inconsistently--I need to smack myself in the head) on bed, stay, drop/leave it. But the one that gets the most laughs is sit up. Starting from his sitting position, I tap my arm and he's supposed to put his paws up on my arms so he is just sitting on his bottom and hind legs. Because of his shape, sitting up like that makes him tip backwards and fall when he tries to take the treat. I'm starting to wonder if he will never be able to sit up on his own, if I should give up on that trick. Maybe if I do it enough times it'll somehow help him work out the balance needed to stay in that position.

·
Registered
7,410 Posts
The one everyone seems to enjoy the most is when I "shoot" Crystal and she flops over like she's dead. She'll sometimes wag her tail, so I tell her, "Dead dogs can't wag!" and she goes still, haha.

And I taught Casper "fist bump" -- he'll smack my closed fist with his nose.

·
Registered
17,901 Posts
Some awesome tricks!!! I would love to be able to teach mine the "bang bang" or being "shot!" That is soooo cute! Definitely one of my favorites. Awesome!
That one's actually not too hard. You just have to teach your dog to lie on their side and be still and then put it on a cue with 'bang'. Building SPEED so it's dramatic can take some time, but it's a FUN trick.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I haven't been great at taking the time to teach tricks. He can do sit, lay down, shake, bang bang. We are working (inconsistently--I need to smack myself in the head) on bed, stay, drop/leave it. But the one that gets the most laughs is sit up. Starting from his sitting position, I tap my arm and he's supposed to put his paws up on my arms so he is just sitting on his bottom and hind legs. Because of his shape, sitting up like that makes him tip backwards and fall when he tries to take the treat. I'm starting to wonder if he will never be able to sit up on his own, if I should give up on that trick. Maybe if I do it enough times it'll somehow help him work out the balance needed to stay in that position.

Chance is the same way. It's hard for him to balance on his own, so he puts his paws on my hand. I've read that it will take muscle memory for them to do it on their own.. Still trying that one with him. Shy doesn't need me to balance him, however, and can do it on his own. I guess it's just the difference in their shapes. I feel like with enough practice, Chance will be able to accomplish it on his own.. Just have to keep trying! :) Good luck and don't give up on your dog! :)

In the midst of trying to train balancing a treat on his nose, I have been working on "leave it" and "look at me" with Chance.. It's coming along beautifully. :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
My dog Chance knows a few more tricks/commands than Shy, but I've had him longer, so that's a bit obvious, lol.

Chance's tricks/commands: Shake, sit, down, recall, sit up(he still has to use my hand for balance), stay, he jumps hurtles and through hoops, and will do this little "balance beam" walk. We are working on balancing a treat on his nose, "leave it", and "look at me."

Shy's tricks/commands: Sit, shake, recall, high five, he also jumps hurtles, and we are working on sit up and lay down.

That one's actually not too hard. You just have to teach your dog to lie on their side and be still and then put it on a cue with 'bang'. Building SPEED so it's dramatic can take some time, but it's a FUN trick.
I was always thinking it would be hard to train. It's hard to get Chance to be still, but with the right motivation, I think he can do it. ;) Hmmm... Might start on that soon.

·
Registered
543 Posts
The trick most people get a kick out of is Apollo's "police raid." I say "Police raid!" and he'll stand up against the wall and I pat him down and make sure he's not packin'. But he knows a lot of the standard, uncomplicated tricks. His trick list is actually pretty long but not they're not amazingly impressive tricks or anything.

JJ does bow as one of her few actual tricks, and right now we're working on Step up which I plan the turn into the elephant trick.

Lucas has a very short list of actual "tricks" but he does "which hand" which I recently taught him (he guesses which of my closed fists the treat is in by pawing that hand).

Mia knows NO tricks! :whistle::redface: She hates training sessions and gets so stressed that I just don't like training that dog, and I do it almost never. Sit, down, leave it, come, necessary obedience stuff, somewhat, no tricks. *shrug*

·
Registered
11 Posts
My Sheltie Nicky knows Sit, Down, sit pretty, give paw, roll over, turn, go around (which is just a heel to my left side) & "Bang" (play dead) ... oh, and he can catch tennis balls & frisbees in the air.
He's nearly 6 now, but I just recently decided to start clicker training him. There's a few behavioral things I'd like to work on and I'd like to teach him some more tricks. We're currently working on "Leave It" as he seems to take advantage of the babies @ our home daycare & take their cookies. LOL.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
People seemed to be impressed by Watson's trick of standing on his hind legs. My cue for that is "circus".

His favorite trick is anything that involves putting his front paws on things. He can target his paws to my feet (either one or both), hands for a high five (either or both paws), or objects. I'm working on targeting with his back feet, since he doesn't seem to know those exist.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
We learned "bang bang" in a tricks class, but the trainer thought it was too violent to actually call it that ( :p ) so our cue is "are you tired?" which is kind of cute, too. CptJack is right, it's not that hard to teach.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Mia knows NO tricks! :whistle::redface: She hates training sessions and gets so stressed that I just don't like training that dog, and I do it almost never. Sit, down, leave it, come, necessary obedience stuff, somewhat, no tricks. *shrug*
My MIL's dachshund ignores you when you have no treats and spins himself in crazy circles when you do have a treat, so she hasn't bothered with training him. For a dog who doesn't even sit on cue he is very well mannered and respectful of your space. He does do this one dancing thing on cue, where he sits on his hind legs and wave his front legs in front of him. Guests are often very amused.

Some awesome tricks!!! I would love to be able to teach mine the "bang bang" or being "shot!" That is soooo cute! Definitely one of my favorites. Awesome!
Mine can only do it from the down position, so it doesn't look very awesome yet. And I made the mistake of putting my hand on his paw so he uses his nose rather than the paw to find the treat. Now he is more reliant on my physical cue (tapping his paw) than my verbal cue to figure out what I want from him.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts