Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I decided to switch to the grain-free diet since my puppy has become very unenthusiastic about his wellness kibble. I decided to give Orijen puppy a shot. So I bought the trial bag size to give him. He LOVED it. He ate it all up as if it were wet food, I was so happy. I went back to the pet store and bought the regular sized bag for the same puppy food. This morning... I gave him the kibble from that bag just to make sure... and he hardly touched it. I tried giving him the kibble from the trial bag... he ate it. I started mixing the two kibbles, he'd ONLY eat the kibble from the trial bag. I put in an email to Orijen about it, but has anyone else experienced this?

I checked the ingredient analysis between the trial and the regular bags, and there actually is a difference, but I thought it was insignificant when I first looked. The omega-3 and omega-6 minimum content were slightly different. Not a big deal, but shouldn't they be exactly the same kibble?

UPDATE-----------

OK,.... so i wet the regular bag kibble just to make it smell more interesting for him and he ate it up..

And just now he threw it all up...

·
Registered
193 Posts
Wow, I haven't ever heard of the sample being different than the 'real' stuff. It will be interesting to see what Orijen says...

·
Registered
818 Posts
Orijen has changed their formulas! Maybe your trial bag was the old formula and the regular-size bag the new. I've been experiencing the same thing with my 3 dogs. They used to love, love Orijen Senior! I stopped feeding them Orijen for awhile, tho'. Recently, I decided to go back to Orijen Sr. When I bought the new bag, my dogs would barely touch it! This was very strange to me!! I started researching....and discovered the formula changes. I'm not sure what all has changed, but definitely they took out milk thistle, marshmallow root and added pumpkin. For the Senior kind, the protein and fat percentages have changed. Before: 42/14 Now: 40/15 ???
The smell of the food isn't quite as good as before (to me). I don't think the dogs like the smell as well either. Anyway...they are eating it okay now, after a few days. Seems to be doing alright with them for now, but I'm keeping an eye on it all. Interesting, to say the least.....I still like the food, but this makes me wary.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Orijen has changed their formulas! Maybe your trial bag was the old formula and the regular-size bag the new. I've been experiencing the same thing with my 3 dogs. They used to love, love Orijen Senior! I stopped feeding them Orijen for awhile, tho'. Recently, I decided to go back to Orijen Sr. When I bought the new bag, my dogs would barely touch it! This was very strange to me!! I started researching....and discovered the formula changes. I'm not sure what all has changed, but definitely they took out milk thistle, marshmallow root and added pumpkin. For the Senior kind, the protein and fat percentages have changed. Before: 42/14 Now: 40/15 ???
The smell of the food isn't quite as good as before (to me). I don't think the dogs like the smell as well either. Anyway...they are eating it okay now, after a few days. Seems to be doing alright with them for now, but I'm keeping an eye on it all. Interesting, to say the least.....I still like the food, but this makes me wary.
Oh yes, I remember the formula changes now that you say it. I bet that's what it is. I think the biggest reason they changed their forumlas was to remove zea mays.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention zea mays haha!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Very interesting...Bailey used to LOVE his Orijen puppy and wolf it down as soon as I gave it to him. For the past few weeks, he's been taking his time or not eating it at all. A few times I've wet it with water or low-sodium chicken broth and he's gobbled it right up. I wish I could remember when this behavior started and whether it correlates to the last bag I bought. Hmm...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts