Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Again...

I think the problem is I've started giving him satin balls, so he won't touch his food and waits for the better stuff. I thought maybe homecooked or raw might work better. I'm not really prepared to start raw though overnight. What's a good homecooked diet recipe? Or I have read that satin balls can be fed on their own if needed. Is that true? I just want to find some sort of total diet Trey will eat.

Fyi, he's 16.6 lbs, pretty underweight (should be 19-20 lbs) and 13 years old. It's going to be 2 weeks until the rest of the blood work comes in and we start him on any medication. The vet suspects he has hypothyroidism- he has some hair loss as well as weight loss. He's been to the vet a few times in the past weeks and now we're waiting until his results come back from the endocrinologist.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I found a pretty simple recipe online. Just combine cooked chicken breast, white rice, peas, green beans, carrots, sunflower oil and your vitamin supplements. My dog loved it. I just can't afford to be making her food all the time, so she gets this once or twice a month as a special treat.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Go check out http://http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter/ for loads of ideas. Basically feed at a MINIMUM 1 gram protein and 20 calories per pound body weight. Mostly meat, add a bit of organ meat.Add 1/2 tsp ground up dried egg shell per pound of food. Grains are extra, add any very well cooked one if you must to lower the cost or you don't like so much protein. Sassy gets rice/pasta as she cannot have all the phosphorus in meat and there is a lot of fat in her food. Sweet potato, pumpkin, broccoli all have a lot of bang for the buck as veggies. Use nutritiondata to check the recipe for calories and all that stuff.

So a simple recipe might be 1 pound of hamburger sizzled so it smells good [doesn't need to be cooked through], 2 ounces of dry or 4-9 ounces of wet starchy food [200 calories worth], 4 ounces of veggie, mixed or not add about 2-4 cups water, simmer until starch is very mushy. Add 1/2 tsp egg shell. Feed him about 400 calories a day. This would be about 2 or 3 days feed. Sassy prefers a little water added so it is easy to bite into. Max thought that was a lousy idea. Discuss with Trey how the food needs to be presented. Warmed is good. Could be soupy to meat loafy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts