Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trent started his first puppy classes today. We had to drive 1 hour over to his breeder's place for it, but I'll have to say that it was worth it. We made some good progress, and Trent got to make new friends. There were a total of 10 other dogs. One of them was a 4 month old German shepherd girl from the "S" litter.

I have to admit - I walked into the class thinking he'll be the worst of the bunch. I was imagining experienced handlers walking their quiet 12 week old puppies in a heel position while Trent lunges and barks at them. He's fantastic and very obedient at home, but bring on the distractions and he's got to go over and sniff every inch of every dog and person he sees.

But it turned out, Trent was actually very well behaved! He sat when I told him to, and left the dogs alone when I said "leave it". He was a very good boy and laid down at my feet while the instructor made introductions and went over what we were to learn in these 6 weeks. He only barked once when the other dogs got noisy, but after that was quiet.

Most of all, though, I was excited about his "stay". I mentioned before that in the few times I've tried to teach him "stay", he always tried to follow me and wouldn't hold it longer than 1/2 a second. Well, the trainer did a demonstration, and Trent watched, and when we got up to try, he held a 5 second stay on his first try! He didn't even budge.

By the end of class, I could tell him "stay", drop the leash, walk several steps past the end of the leash, and he'd hold it for 10-15 seconds. Sure, it's not much, but it's HUGE for him, and it's with distractions! I felt like dancing right then and there :cool:

VERY proud of my baby.

(No pictures today, my camera decided to die on me earlier this morning)

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Excellent! But, now you owe us graduation pictures at the least!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wow, that's actually very impressive! When my dogs were puppies they were very difficult to train, but it sounds like yours is doing very well. Congratulations to that, I'd say you're lucky to have such a quick learner.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Good boy! Ah... but we should have expected as much. Now... when is the camera going to be fixed???

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
That sounds great! It must have been a good feeling for you and he sounds like really quick learner! You should buy a new camera...you know...so we can get the pictures faster? :D

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone - I was ready to burst with pride over his accomplishment. And just to make sure it wasn't just a one time thing, we did a bit of training this morning, and he did even better! I told him to stay in the living room, walked around in the kitchen, where he could still see me, and then went back to him, and though his eyes just about popped out from staring at me, he stayed put! He got a nice yummy liver treat for that.

As for the camera, we're still trying to fix it, but I dug out my other (older) one, so we'll have pictures next week at least. Promise! I was rather bummed out myself I didn't get to capture Trent's first puppy class.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey, am I the ONLY one who knew Trent would be the star the first day?! :D
Probably :p

Trent wants to let you know he appreciates that someone had faith in him. I'm sure he did look a little miffed at my surprise after class. He was probably thinking "well, of course I could behave. Thanks for the confidence, Mommy".

Personally I thought he was just trying to show off for the pretty sable German shepherd girl.

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
what a good boy!! :D

when iorek went to class he was always better than when he was at home, showing off for the trainer is guess :) i am glad to hear that Trent is doing well at home too! what a fast learner!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts