Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. We just got a TW coonhound from the animal shelter last night. She is 2 months old. Just a few quick questions...the jumping. How can I strop her from jumping on the kids? I just tell her no in a firm voice. Is this all I can do. I have never had a puppy before so any tips/tricks would be helpful. Also her food is Wild Buffalo. Is there a comparable brand that may be a little cheaper? The shelter said the owner brought that brand in with her.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Have you been over to the New Dog Owner section? The stickies will answer a lot of the more common questions you may have.

As for jumping, this is a typical behavior, especially in puppies. You need to educate everyone that is going to be coming in contact with the pup that she is not to get any attention if she is jumping. Attention also means pushing her down and scolding her. She does not know she not suppose to jump, and the way you can teach her is to turn your back, cross your arms and ignore. She may continue to jump but after several repetitions of this, she will learn that she only gets attention if all four are on the floor.

I also recommend checking out Dr. Ian Dunbar's website, http://www.dogstardaily.com/. You can download (for free) some great resources here: http://www.dogstardaily.com/free-downloads.
I would also recommend checking out Dr. Patricia McConnells book, The Other End of The Leash. She has several other books as well, but I would start with that one.

As far as food, I am not sure how much you are paying. I feed Taste of The Wild and have found it be to a good value for quality. It is important that you feed a good wholesome diet as your puppy grows and that she gets the nutrition her growing body needs. You may find that you will get more answers to dietary questions if you post in the dog food forum.

Please post pictures! I love hounds and am currently owned by a Bloodhound X

·
Registered
583 Posts
I have a TWC mix.... and as +2 said, what works best is ignoring her if she jumps... just walk away. My problem is actually with - or caused by - my wife, who seems to love when the puppy jumps on her when she gets home from work. The dog gets mixed signals.

Also, just from my few weeks of experience on a general note:

1. Seems to be smart but stubborn... but will do almost anything for food.

2. Being TWCs, they LOVE to jump..... ON ANYTHING.... go watch some youtube videos. I mean they climb tress for a job, so......

3. Not overly affectionate... Like to be petted, and then moves on. Rarely comes over to get petted on her own.

4. LOVES all dogs she has met, even the ones who don't like her.

5. "OK" with my kids so far.... she made biting ( not puppy biting ) moves at my kids about 10 days ago, but has been fine since.

6. Mine is 3 months old and has now just decided that it is OK not to be moving around 100% of the time. She will actually go lay in the sun room and sleep sometimes.

7. Can hear the fridge door opening anywhere / anytime...... and will want food each time.

8. MUST stay on leash... MUST..... she wants to run after anything she sees, or go to anything she smells. I had hoped she would stay with my other dogs when off leash ( they are almost always off leash ) but she doesn't stay with them.

Good luck! This has not been my easiest dog to train, but she seems to be getting better every day.

ETA, mine is 3 months old.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts