Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Treats!

3K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  andreangil 
#1 ·
What kind of treats do you give to your dog? I like to give Noel Lean Treats.

#8 ·
Yes, as you can tell the recommendation of cheese comes under bad advisement.

The treats I most often choose for Elsa is a game of tug. That's about as lean as you can get. And sometimes (mostly when teaching a newer behavior) I may break out the freeze dried chicken livers. They are kinda crumbly for training, and that's why I prefer cheese.

#9 ·
I give them all sorts of things. They definetly get a variety! Raw treats (what raw feeders feed: beef ribs, pork necks, etc), all kinds of dog treats (charlie bear bits, dehydrated meats, liver chiplets, pupperoni once in a huge while, avoderm bicuits, etc), and also they get leftovers sometime. I make sure that the leftovers are safe. Whatever I think is ok for them, they are allowed to have. I dont give them potato chips or anything like that though. That stuff is soooo salty!

#10 ·
LOL, that egg and cheese thread was great!:eek:

Kit gets mild cheddar cheese (tiny cubes), cooked chicken or beef heart (sometimes hard to come by), hot dogs, peanuts or popcorn (unsalted), lettuce, carrots, green beans, ice cubes, and whatever falls on the floor. These are our "training treats" for small commands. She gets bigger/better stuff like freeze dried liver, banana chunks, a finger of peanut butter, or homemade biscuits for a good frisbee session, nail trim, bath, etc. Of course, I don't think she really tastes any of it - if it comes out of a human hand, she just assumes that it must be good and it goes down the hatch before there's time to figure out what it was. Even pills.

We were at the vet's office a few days ago and the vet tech was doing a bunch of routine stuff before the appt. In the process, she discovered Kit's obsession with anything involving calories. When the vet walked in, the tech warned her: "She's VERY food motivated", as if to say "watch out!" The vet actually took a step back and said "Is she friendly about it?" I had to laugh.

#18 ·
Egg isn't bad for dogs, or at least not for all dogs. I feed Gir EVO red meat large bites, and egg is pretty high up on the ingredient list. Not only is it not harming her, but she's never looked or acted healthier.

According to the EVO website:

Egg is the part or whole of the reproductive body produced by hens.

Eggs are an excellent source of protein, with naturally occurring complex combinations of amino acids. Natura uses only whole eggs in our products.
http://www.evopet.com/products/default.asp?id=1490

As for cheese, I've heard that it's bad for dogs, and I'm not risking giving any to Gir. My sister occasionally gives some to her dog, though, and her dog hasn't gotten sick from it.

#23 ·
Most of the time it is those training T's. Sometimes it's other things like a small piece of begging strip. Whatever treat it is though she can't just have it given to her. They are placed on the floor and she only is allowed to eat them when I say she can and only the one that I point to.

#25 ·
Well I give my Lexi mild cheese and those Pet Botanics Training Rewards: chicken flavor. I was wanting to just buy chicken at the grocery store but I'm unsure of how to cook it. Can anyone give me some suggestions as to how to cook it? I also was thinking about buying other types of meats to cook up but if you can also give me suggestions as to what else would be good. Thanks all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.