Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, fellow dog lovers! So my dog is a bit of a diva. He is an incredibly finicky eater (took a while to find a dog food he likes) and I'm trying to teach him some new tricks, but I'm tired of buying expensive dog treats when he doesn't eat them. I have literally gone through every brand and different styles of treats (raw hide, jerky, sausages, etc). But he does love a bit of people food every once in a while.

My question is this: Would it be unhealthy for him if I used, say a slice of hot dog, as a treat for him?

Also, are there any other foods you would recommend?

Thanks, everyone!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Sliced up hot dogs are generally good high value treats. Just chop them up really small. I've also found them good for cat training as well since our Persian and Maine Coon love them too.

I also use bits of finely shredded cheese and real bacon bits as high value treats for our dog. Extra high value treats are bits of cheese puffs and peanut butter cookies. They wouldn't be good for a dog in high quantities but I only use a small bit and save these for special occasions, such as learning a new behavior.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, cool! Yeah, I just wanted to make sure. I've been wary about giving him people food since the halal incident we had (the only time he had an accident in the house, of course it was explosive diarrhea) so I thought it would be best to ask.

thanks! =]

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Buying treats?

If buying loaves of bread counts, then sure. :p

I use bread balls (a slice of bread ripped up and the pieces made into balls). I also use leftovers from dinner (if no grapes or onions were used), bits (and I mean tiny) pieces of deli meat, pancakes, sausage, hot dogs, crackers, cheese, cheesy pasta, almonds, peanuts, Wheat Chex, Kashi Cinnamon Shredded Wheat, granola bars, steak, pork chop, chicken, doughnuts, danishes, lemon cake, cheesecake, mashed potatoes, gravy (lick a bit off my finger), cheese dip.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts