Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to start obedience training my dog when i get her, so what are some of your favorite treats to use to train with??

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
--Old pancakes
--Bits of Velveeta (bonus points if it's a slice I left on the counter too long)
--Those gingerbread bears treats from PetCo
--Old chunks of rice (if I could pick it up with chopsticks, it's easy for him to eat - old Chinese food rice is great as is old rice with a relatively high starch content so that it balls up - almost like a risotto)
--Slices of ordinary bread broken up into "bread balls"
--Stale french bread (he loves this because it's crunchy)
--Broken up crackers
--If I feel generous, I'll toast a hamburger bun and dice it
--If I feeling REALLY generous, I'll cut up a hot dog - but I love hot dogs as much as he does so...
--If we're working on something he's slightly afraid of or super challenging, I'll dice up a slice or two of deli ham
--I used to love those 101 treats (that was the name "101") but they have become rare it seems
--Leftover fish sticks
--Pieces of chicken nuggets (bouns points for me if I actually buy him some Mickey D's nuggets)
--Leftover french fries (uber points for me if I actually buy him some Mickey D's fries - the dog LOVES McDonald's french fries)
--Diced up DentaStix (no lie)
--Leftover meatballs
--Old pasta with olive oil on it (messy, though, I don't use it if I need to hold something - he'd be too busy licking the oil off whatever it is)

Long story short - whatever is left over that he likes with my cheap *** self occassionally buying/ordering "real" treats like 101 (if they have them) or the treats from Petco because he DOES love those a lot. Exposed him to Natural Balance roles...he loved that too - got him some "samples" - even my cheap self can't pass those up.

·
Registered
514 Posts
For high value treats I use freeze dried liver (broken down into even smaller bits because my dog is small) and zukes mini naturals in chicken. I'm interested in what this thread turns up, because I'm currently looking for cheaper options to mix in. And stuff that I can get at the grocery store. I have to order those things online because they're so ridiculously overpriced at the pet store.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
I usually buy slices of chicken or roast beef from the supermarket deli and cut them into smaller pieces, then put them in portion sized zip lock bags and freeze most of them. I leave one in the fridge to use on walks or at training classes. When it's running low I get a new one out of the freezer and let it thaw in the fridge.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
I want to start obedience training my dog when i get her, so what are some of your favorite treats to use to train with??
I think it's wise to allow your dog the liberty to choose, and rank, their own reinforcers. Just thought I'd mention that since you asked "what are some of YOUR favourite treats".

Be creative and imaginative to begin with, a wide variety is essential. Consider differing textures. Experiment, and make detailed mental notes on which treats elicit the strongest responses, and which ones only elicit a moderate response or perhaps no response at all. Most times it's surprising ... what WE suspect or hope is a high value treat turns out to be not so, in the DOG'S judgement, ... and vice-versa.

OK, some more treat ideas (to add to what's already been mentioned) ...

flaked 'pseudo' crab meat
boiled chicken bits, with a touch of garlic
soft cat treats (occassionally)
sample packs of different kibble
cubed ham kielbasa
cubed stinky cheese
string cheese
chicken wieners
BBQ'd rosemary lamb (yep! leftovers from a recent meal, lol)
Cheerios
generally ... many types of human food seem to work well

I prefer to keep things "real" as much as possible, rather than pumping the dog full of cheap, commercial or mainstream treats like Pupperonni, Beggin' Strips and the like (too much BHA / BHT / food colouring etc), although there are some good, healthy products available if you're willing to pay the price. Read the ingredients.

And remember ... use everything in strict moderation. Not to scare you away, but please be aware of the potential for excessive amounts of fatty / rich foods to cause stomach upset, or worse, pancreatitis.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Here's what we've been using

High value treats for distracting situations:
Lowfat string cheese
Hot dogs (cut them into tiny pieces, roast in oven, blot off grease)
Zukes mini naturals
Freeze-dried liver

At home with fewer distractions:
Charlee Bear training treats
Kibble

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Baked liver treats are a huge hit here. I chunk up the liver and boil it until cooked. Then I cut it into tiny treat-sized pieces, then put it in the oven (toaster over actually) for about 30 minutes at 250*.

Typically I just buy treats. I use the Training Reward treats from Pet Botanics at Petsmart. I cut them into tiny pieces.
I used these for a while

But now I use these. The packaging is different now though. And despite it being "bite sized" I cut each treat into 4 pieces. Each big bag (for $10) has over 550 treats, so by cutting those into 4 pieces.. and sometimes even breaking those pieces in half.. it's a lot of treats for $10. But it's also a lot of cutting lol. Treats don't need to be any bigger than the size of a pea.

·
Registered
56 Posts
We use whatever is on hand. My dog acts like I never feed him and will work hard for anything digestible. He seems to really go crazy for crayons, but I don't suggest using them as treats lol!

I say, use whatever your dog likes. My friends dog seems to only be motivated by popcorn. If offered hot dogs, or popcorn he will quickly turn up his nose to the meat.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I use different treats for different commands...heeling is a real good treat, something they love and will stay right next to you trying to get it out of your hand(I use Milo Kitchen Jerky), for sit/stays and down/stays use a crunchy cookie, it keeps the dog busy longer and you will get a longer stay that way. You'll learn which ones work for what...Good Luck!!

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I have a 60 lb dog. For training, I use something the size of a dime - either a piece of his kibble, or thinly sliced liver treats, because I'm trying to quickly mark desired behavior as opposed to giving him a large treat to eat.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts