Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

I am currently in-search of a new dog to adopt (my first!). I went to my local shelter last weekend, and am going to a new one this weekend that's in the same area as the last one.

I found a dog I felt I connected with quite well at the first shelter, so if I don't see anything I might like more at the new one i'm going back to put him on hold and find out more about him!

I wanted to get some good treat suggestion ideas that I can find around my house, so I can see how interested he is in learning. Any food suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Cheese is usually well-accepted and not too messy.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Honestly, milk bones.

Shelter dogs need something simple and easy on their stomachs. They're not fed a stable kibble and can get upset stomachs easy. Rich grain free treats, dairy products, moist treats, and the like may cause diarrhea.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Cheese is good, but if you want something simpler, I like Charlee Bear treats. They're like liver flavored oyster crackers for dogs. Simple and easy on the old tum. They have them at pet stores and Trader Joe's.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Honestly, milk bones.

Shelter dogs need something simple and easy on their stomachs. They're not fed a stable kibble and can get upset stomachs easy. Rich grain free treats, dairy products, moist treats, and the like may cause diarrhea.
Yep the fewer and milder the treats the better. The shelter I volunteer for has what they call "Monday disease" lots of upset tummies and diarrhea from all the rich treats handed out in extreme over the weekends from volunteers and visitors. Most dogs are just as happy and better off with your love and attention than a handful of treats.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Normally, for shelter dogs, if you were just going down the aisles handing out cookies, I would suggest something blander like Milkbones or even kibbles. But it sounds like the OP wants to evaluate individual dogs' trainability. I think something more compelling would be better in that case :D.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts