Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wally loves the Sniffer's Adult Lifestages treats, but either they don't exist anymore or everyone loves them and no one has them in stock. Even checked some online sites and they are out of stock/discontinued.

He used to get the Sniffer's 101 treats - and THOSE were gone (which is why I tried their LifeStages treats)

So I'm back on the hunt for treats *sigh*. Any recommendations for treats?

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I love Natural Balance food roll. I also love Charlee Bear Liver treats. They're little discs about kibble size and work great for clicker training.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Wellness Pure Rewards! Best treat I've found yet! They come in little square jerky pieces that break in half nicely if you want them smaller. Zoey's old favorite was the Zuke's mini's, those are pretty good too.. they come in little cylinder shaped treats about the diameter of a dime (maybe smaller) and are soft.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I'll be checking these out for sure.

·
Registered
10 Posts
All the dogs I've met went nuts over the "Pro-Treat:freeze dried liver". (and with the combination vet work and rescue - I've met a fair share) They'll do just about anything for it - works great for training.
They are a bit more expensive than the other stuff, but you can cut them into smaller pieces.

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
iorek really likes N-R-G chicken stixx and salmon stixx. also i second the natural balance rolls. and just plain old cheese works wonders at our house :)

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Human food: hot dogs, cheese, peanut butter smears, cream cheese, banana, apple, orange, pear, carrot, roasted chicken, beef jerky, leftover steak.

Commercial treats: Natural Balance rolls, Wellness (I like WellBites and PureRewards), Grizzly Nutreats, Fish4Dogs treats, Zuke's, ZiwiPeak "Good Dog" treats.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Human food: hot dogs, cheese, peanut butter smears, cream cheese, banana, apple, orange, pear, carrot, roasted chicken, beef jerky, leftover steak.
Heh - I think Wally wants to move in with you - or at least come visit :)

He'll get some of those things, especially if there's left overs, or I'll "put aside" some of my dinner for training.

Beef jerky - that's a great idea! Not sure why I didn't think of that!

Thanks again for the ideas - looks like this weekend is gonna be treat trackdown :)

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
None that I'm aware of. He hasn't had any reactions to anything I've given him to this point.

He doesn't seem to like fruit though. Tried apples and he sniffed it but wasn't interested. Same with the banana and oranges (tried these some time back and he had no interest. Wouldn't even take a "thankful bite")

·
Registered
88 Posts
I bought the Wellness Just for Puppy Treats for my little guy. He just sniffed and licked at them at first, but now he happily eats them right up.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I like using solid gold tiny tots for training. its a chewy treat that you can easily make even smaller. no corn, wheat, soy or by-products, and while they are aromatic they dont smell like stinky jerky treats.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I make my dog her own homemade liver treats for training.......and i give her milk bones, and denta bones, and sometimes some peanut butter in a kong......her favourite though is the liver treats hehehe

·
Registered
31 Posts
I don't like to give my dogs anything that has fillers in it for treats, as they get enough in their foods. I make liver treats. I boil cheap beef liver (smells up the whole house so do it when you can open the windows) and let it cool. It gets almost rubber like. Then I use my kitchen shears and cut it into small bite size treats. Then when they are good and dry, I put enough for one clicker training session into a ziploc baggie and put it in the freezer. When I'm ready to train, I just grab a small baggie out of the freezer and off we go! I've never had a dog refuse these! I keep them in a fanny pack around my waste in the ziploc baggie so I have my hands free for training.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Wellness Pure Rewards! Best treat I've found yet! They come in little square jerky pieces that break in half nicely if you want them smaller. Zoey's old favorite was the Zuke's mini's, those are pretty good too.. they come in little cylinder shaped treats about the diameter of a dime (maybe smaller) and are soft.
I agree about Wellness jerky (my bag says made in the USA). However I buy the *cat* treats, pure delights, because they are little 1/4" squares that have no calories and satisfy. Benji's a small dog.

It's so funny you mention Zuke's. I just found a bag of them that my friend gave me and mixed up a "Chex mix" of Charlee Bear, tiny Natural Balance bones (I further break these in five pces), Zuke's salmon, Pure Delights, and Newman's Own peanut butter hearts.

My Zuke's are *tiny* b-b sized cylinders. Maybe an 1/8th of an inch across.

Right now Benji's in a long down stay waiting for his next surprise treat. And the cat jumped up on the table and is helping herself. :D

·
Registered
71 Posts
Will I buy my dog either Milk Bone or Pedigree. Some times if I have the time I make home made dog treats. If you go to Wal-Mart there are some chicken lever in the carton for $1.20

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am currently using Pro-Treat liver treats and my pup loves them. I taught her to sit yesterday in about 2 minutes using them and have been using them for housetraining.

In my opinion, they are big for a pup. I break them into 3 or 4 pieces.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have a new favorite
Zukes mini chicken training treats. they are the perfect size for training, are soft, all natural, and no corn wheat soy or byproducts. They are a big hit in my home right now. a little pricey, but that's way better than chewy treats under my nails!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts