Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog is starting obedience classes next month and I've been instructed to bring treats to class - something "soft" is recommended. Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
538 Posts
Something very tastey "higher value" and easy to give in small amounts. Jerky type treats are good. Try not to feed too much junk though. If you are concerned about quality and healthy types, I would reccomend Wellness jerky treats. Something less costly would be pupperoni. Also less quality. They both work just fine to get a dogs attention.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Hot dogs, cut into very small pieces and dried in a low-temp oven until they're jerky-like. Dogs can't resist them.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'd try and get a bunch of treats beforehand and see what your dog seems to like the best. I'd pick the ones you think he'd like the best and use those. Try using cheese cubes, freeze dried liver, tortellini, ravioli, bananas, hot dogs, carrots... Stay away from chocolate, raisins, macadamia nuts, mushrooms, and onions.

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
I presume "soft" means something that can be parceled into smaller bits if necessary. The first thing that came to mind is cheese.

A lot of people use cut-up Natural Balance rolls.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Natural Balance Food Rolls - slice, then dice into tiny pieces. Doggie Crack! LOL

Stella & Chewie's Freeze Dried Lamb Steaks - slice into tiny pieces.

Neither of the above are messy, so your hands stay clean, and both are healthy choices for your dog nutritionally.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I like hot dogs cut into small pieces. Cheap and easy. They can be given raw and they are pretty high value to most dogs. I also like cheese. I get cheese sticks and then they have a nice wrapper so they don't dirty up my pocket and it's easy to break off small pieces.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Hollywood Stars Dog treats. They come in liver and yogurt flavors. They come in something that looks like a milk carton. I know Tiberius goes ape for them and they aren't that expensive.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
I've used treats from the store(various brands) Hallie goes CRAZY over wellness pure bites and the natural balance rolls. We've even used little bits of chicken and she does anything for those! Just get something that isn't too rich, isn't too moist where it'll leave a residue on your hands, and something that is in small peices. :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've seen the Natural Balance rolls before but I was under the impression they were squishy - like a paste or something. But they're solid enough to cut into pieces?

·
Registered
269 Posts
I've seen the Natural Balance rolls before but I was under the impression they were squishy - like a paste or something. But they're solid enough to cut into pieces?
Definitely solid enough, I grate them rather than cut them up for Mojo. They are soft enough you can squish the crumbs together to make a solid ball though, so they aren't hard just firm.

Zukes makes some that are pretty popular and they've got a variety of flavors. Bil-jac has a small liver treat that some dogs love (Mojo didn't care for it). People food was most common in my PK class, cheese and hotdogs were good for most folks. Little bits of chicken was another popular people food option.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Zuke's, NB rolls, hot dogs have all been listed. (Yes, Natural Balance rolls are solid enough to cut.) You may also want to check out the treats from Wellness. Some of them are pretty soft.

You may want to check with your trainer and make sure she didn't mean something soft like peanut butter or liver paste. You may be required to smear the treat somewhere to teach a target or something.

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
when we had iorek in obedience we pretty much grabbed a different type of treat every time. i wanted to make sure we had tons of different yummy things for him. iorek was not really treat motivated at first so we used cheese (a BIG favourite) cut into little cubes, hot dogs, meatballs (we got pre cooked chicken meatballs from the grocery store and microwaved them until they were thawed and cut them up tiny), natural balance rolls, and any left over meat from supper that night. you can take any meat (no bones!) that you had from supper and cut it really small and it would make a great treat.

good luck with obedience class :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts