Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm clicker training the little monster, and had a bit of time finding treats that weren't grain based, contained corn syrup, or sugar. Finally found some great options that Henry loves!

1. Freeze dried tripe. I cut it into tiny slices. Kind of pricey, unfortunately. This was the first thing he ever showed interest in.

2. Stella and Chewy's Freeze Dried Dinner Patties. This is his clicker training class treat, and he goes NUTS for it. It's really crumbly, but that ends up being fine because I can just tear little pieces off, alternating size for what I'm asking him to do. Another negative is that it's so light and small, that if I drop it for him, he doesn't always see it, and spends a ridiculous amount of time sniffing around for it. Also kind of pricey, but it's so high-value for him that (right now) it's worth it.

3. Chirimen Niboshi. Translates to "tiny tiny fish". They are dried anchovies/baby anchovies. Definitely the cheapest option, plus they smell great to dogs. The negatives is that the larger dried fish contain salt, so I wouldn't recommend it for heavy treating. If you can find a salt-free option, these are GREAT. You can find them at most Asian grocery stores!

What else do you guys use as treats for your raw-fed dogs? :pop2:

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I make my own liver treats. Cut up the liver into managable sizes, boil it, then cut it up to smaller sized bites that you would normally use and bake it at 350-375 F for 10-15 minutes or so just to dry them out a bit. I'll freeze a bunch and just take out what I need, when I need it.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I just cook part of Max's meal for treats usually. If I have leftover plain meat from my dinner I cut it up for treats. Pork loin is really good, not greasy and firm. I can even put it into a treat ball. He doesn't do well with dry treats for some reason.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Hot dogs! I know they aren't the best, but they're super cheap and she doesn't get too many treats except at agility anyways and she'll go through 1-2 hotdogs. I slice them length wise a couple times then slice so the pieces are pretty small. Put them in a ziplock in the fridge. I might try making liver treats ^ I like that idea.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts