Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Proud mama to two havanese puppies (gemma and stella) who are 15weeks old. They are precious littermates/sisters who play well and sleep in a huddle. Great temperments, but if i give them both a treat one of them turns into a little monster and attacks the other. Lots of treats are deserved due to constant training going on at this age. This is my third week to have them. Any suggestions on how to get the aggresive one (stella) to chill out? Will she grow out of it? When this happens which has only been twice i have seperated them. She immediately calms down but i want to avoid it all together! This is the only time she exhibits this behavior.

Thanks;)

Jes

·
Registered
11,352 Posts
read up on both "resource guarding" (when a dog fights over or tries to "guard" a resource like treats, a favorite toy etc) and "littermate syndrome"

You would say what you are seeing is resource guarding, it is something you can work on training away from but it is something like would likely get worse on its own (they don't grow out of it).

I mention the littermate syndrome because it sounds like they are doing everything together- sleep, play, training etc- and this can lead to problems. You want to train them separate, give them separate walks (and together walks) and make sure they sometimes sleep apart so they are used to it and don't horribly panic if they aren't together. You want them to bond to you, not just to each other.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Resource guarding is rather easily solved, litter mate syndrome can be a huge problem. My groomer told me she once had two labradoodles come in at the place she used to work at. They required that every dog be crated when not actively being groomed. They screamed for 10 minutes straight, then the one broke teeth trying to get out of the crate and other broke his shoulder. This all happened so fast the staff had no time to react.

Give your little ones lots of alone time and separate attention.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to both of you. They get alot of alone time and attention. My husband and i both work at home so they are constantly supervised. They havent had their thirds set of shots yet, but once they do they will b attending traning seperately. They often sleep seperately around the house during the day by their own choice. They are only crated if we leave at the same time. I had read up on resource guarding before posting here. They have their own food bowls and eat at the same time with no issues. There is zero aggression shown towards me. Its only treats that spark an issue. But i will keep an eye out for littermate syndrome symptoms. Appreciate the advice!

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
My two white Schnauzer/Poodles are Brother/Littermates. As mentioned above .. lots of separate training and quality human time ... separate from each other. I kept mine in separate crates but side by side. They ate together but a foot distance and a water bowl between them. I trained them to "share" treats and everything that needed sharing. :) I potty trained them at the same time. Eating together makes potty training easier as it helps maintain a good potty schedule.

I was very lucky to not have any Littermate Syndrome with my two Boys! Even when Leeo passed ... I had Blu Boy visit him in the hospital ... and Blu Boy must have understood his Brother was terminal. Blu Boy has seemingly been fine.

Good luck with your little ones!

Before I forget .... it was much easier to have them neutered at the same time also. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts