Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 5 month old lab/golden that the vet has finally diagnosed as probable mites after first two visits saying allergies and to try grain free diet and a high priced oatmeal/aloe shampoo/Benadryl. He put her on Revolution 3.5+ weeks ago with 3 treatments 2 weeks apart. She is still scratching and biting on her paws and legs causing hair loss and darkening of her skin. Shouldn't she be improving by this point? Its killing me to see her suffer and cortisone/anti-itch sprays/shampoos and Benadryl don't seem to help. We tried a few days of very low dose prednisone chewables, which calmed down the itching two weeks ago but side effects scared us so we stopped it after 2 days after talking to vet. Her scratching resumed almost immediately. Should I go ahead and give her the last dose of Revolution Tuesday or ask vet for another course of treatment and if so, what has worked for your dogs? I have washed and sprayed her beds, crate and sleeping areas, harness and collars, should I do something to her stuffed toys?

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
Hello, I have a 5 month old lab/golden that the vet has finally diagnosed as probable mites after first two visits saying allergies and to try grain free diet and a high priced oatmeal/aloe shampoo/Benadryl. He put her on Revolution 3.5+ weeks ago with 3 treatments 2 weeks apart. She is still scratching and biting on her paws and legs causing hair loss and darkening of her skin. Shouldn't she be improving by this point? Its killing me to see her suffer and cortisone/anti-itch sprays/shampoos and Benadryl don't seem to help. We tried a few days of very low dose prednisone chewables, which calmed down the itching two weeks ago but side effects scared us so we stopped it after 2 days after talking to vet. Her scratching resumed almost immediately. Should I go ahead and give her the last dose of Revolution Tuesday or ask vet for another course of treatment and if so, what has worked for your dogs? I have washed and sprayed her beds, crate and sleeping areas, harness and collars, should I do something to her stuffed toys?
I am not a vet. That said--

Sarcoptic mange or demodectic mange? Revolution is labeled for treating and controlling sarcoptic mange. It is not labeled for treating demoectic mange although that might be an off-label use. Oral Ivermectin is the typical treatment for demodectic mange, Bravecto is a new oral flea and tick pill that has shown success in treating demodex.

here's what Revolution's prescribing fact sheet says about sarcoptic mange treatment:
"Sarcoptic Mange Treatment in Dogs
For the treatment of sarcoptic mange (S. scabiei) in dogs, Revolution should be administered once as a single
topical dose. A second monthly dose may be required in some dogs. Monthly use of Revolution will control
any subsequent sarcoptic mange mite infestations. Because of the difficulty in finding sarcoptic mange mites
on skin scrapings, effectiveness assessments also were based on resolution of clinical signs. Resolution of
the pruritus associated with the mite infestations was observed in approximately 50% of the dogs 30 days
after the first treatment and in approximately 90% of the dogs 30 days after the second monthly treatment."

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shell, how can I post this to general and health, think it put it in wrong forum to reach many people? There is no option to do a new post on my page today. Thank you for your response. I also responded to you with reply to thread but nothing is showing up now.. so I don't think it went through.

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
Shell, how can I post this to general and health, think it put it in wrong forum to reach many people? There is no option to do a new post on my page today. Thank you for your response. I also responded to you with reply to thread but nothing is showing up now.. so I don't think it went through.
There is a bit of a delay after the intro post before you can post to other forums but not more than an hour or two usually.

If you hit "Reply with Quote" and start typing, then you have to use the "Post Quick Reply" button that is on the lower right hand side of the text box in order to post it. If you hit the "+reply to Thread" button on the lower left, it disappears everything you wrote and opens a new page for typing.

If you post in the general health forum, make sure to include the information of what kind of mites your dog has so that people can give more accurate replies.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts