Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a minor problem trying to train my newest dog. He's a 1yr old, neutered, Great Pyrenees, and everything gives him the runs... It doesn't help that he eats everything in the house, including the house, but we've been working on that, both teaching him not to chew things, and making sure he doesn't get a hold of anything bad to chew. Of course, I'm also having a hard time giving him appropriate thing to chew on. Basically, if he gets his breakfast and dinner on time, and doesn't eat anything else all day, he's fine. If one of his meals comes too early or too late, he gets the runs. If he eats any amount of human food, including peanut butter, hotdogs, cheese, bread, basic stuff, he gets the runs. I've never met a dog with such a sensitive stomach. Granted, we've only had him for about 2 months, so maybe things will settle now that his food and feeding times are set?

Um, sorry, that ranted a bit. Basically, the issue is that I can't figure out what I can use as a motivator. He's not praise motivated, he's not play motivated, and food motivation upsets his stomach. And I bought him Kongs to help redirect his chewing, but I can't figure out what to stuff them with that won't upset his stomach. Help?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Stuff the kong with the puppy formula for sensitive stomachs and have you taken him to a vet to make sure the diarrhea isn't caused by something else?

·
Registered
703 Posts
I take my cue from Ian Dunbar and train with my dogs' kibble. Have you tried that? they have to be hungry, of course. :)

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I agree with titiaamor, use kibble for the treats. Also, consider the treat to be just a marker of correct behavior, not a reward... so use a tiny taste, rather than something to chew on.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Honestly I prefer to use their dog food as a reward. Just ration the food. All dogs are food motivated, but sometimes they are finicky. Cheese or hot dogs work well too for dogs that are scent oriented.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts