Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a budding dog trainer and I'm just getting into the plethora of equipment available! There's so much to choose from out there and SO many conflicting reviews. I'm looking for a treat pouch, specifically, that has the following features:
  • Hinge closure
  • Belt to wear the pouch around my waist
  • Large main pouch to hold plenty of treats and a clicker
I bought a treat pouch less than 2 weeks ago and the hinge already broke. I was very disappointed with it and I'm looking for something that will at least last me a few months. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
I like this one because it's roomy and has pockets for things like clickers, bags, id, etc. so I can use it on walks if I don't have pockets.

ETA: If I wanted one to use only for treats, I'd get something smaller and made from machine washable fabric. Maybe something like this.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Myself personally, I'm really looking in to investing in a small backpack. I want to be able to bring 2 or 3 different treats, water bottles, clicker, poop bags, extra leash and collar, and a small basic portable doggy first aid kit. I do a lot of hiking and dog park walking and you never know when you or someone else may need something!!

·
Registered
8,366 Posts
not even close to your description... but I loved using them... Handy man apron... lots of room for modification... and you can hold many things low value treats and high value treats. clicker balls... squeakers.. tug toy where the hammer hangs . I like the cheaper cloth ones because they flexible and light weight ..

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
The shelter where I volunteer has a large stock of these ones for behavior staff, volunteers, and dog behavior students. They're okay, except I find the v-seam at the bottom makes it difficult to get the last few treats out of the bottom, especially if they're small.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
This is probably not the answer you're looking for, but I think it really depends on what you want. There isn't one best treat pouch for everybody. I would use a different treat pouch for going on a long walk (where I might want to bring keys, poop bags, etc) vs something I'll use just when training. When I'm training I want the smallest and least conspicuous bag possible, and just use pockets if I can.

I've had this one for 3 years now and it's doing fine:
http://www.amazon.com/Karen-Pryor-Clicker-Training-Limited/dp/B00CDSDDWY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441203167&sr=8-1&keywords=terry+ryan+treat+pouch

I know a lot of people who just use aprons with pockets, like the kind you can get really cheap at Home Depot or Lowe's.

·
Registered
813 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
I bought this last year and it feels like decent quality. It is still in like new condition as I don't use it very much. For me, I prefer the smaller treat totes as this was too bulky for me.

http://www.amazon.com/Petsafe-Treat-Pouch-Sport-Black/dp/B000JCWAWA/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1441190935&sr=1-1&keywords=Dog+treat+pouch
I also have this one and have been happy with it. My suggestion would be to go to different pet stores locally to you and actually look at and compare them to your preferences. I tend to order on-line, but was also frustrated by the plethora of options and found it hard to drill down on what specifically I wanted. After going to different pet stores I identified the one mentioned above would work best for me.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
I just use a fanny pack. I don't like the ones with the string closure.

·
Registered
17,895 Posts
I carry a giant bag, that has toys, poop bags, extra leashes, a bowl and bottle of water, a first aid kit, and things for me like glasses/wallet/keys/tampons/etc. Then I just shove treats in my pockets and trade out at regular intervals/when they get low.

I don't actually like treat bags, for two reasons:
1-) My dogs were starting to notice when I was wearing them vs when I wasn't, and it was a tell as to whether I was going to have food on me or not
2-) They bug the CRAP out of me . A lot of my stuff involves a lot of running and moving around fairly fast, and keeping the freaking thing didn't want to stay attached (I don't like belts). Plus, when fully loaded, they're heavy.

So, yeah. Big 'diaper bag' (it's a messenger bag) in the car or somewhere convenient, a poop bag tied to the leash handle and my pockets, and I am good to go.

I was all into the gear early on but at this stage the treat bag is one (of a few) thing(s) I've just decided is extraneous.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I like this one because it's roomy and has pockets for things like clickers, bags, id, etc. so I can use it on walks if I don't have pockets.[/URL].
Have this; love this. I can fit my clicker on one of the small outer pockets and poop bag in the other. The fact that it has two inside compartments is nice because I usually put kibble and lower-value treats in one of them and then the good stuff in the other so I can easily get to what I need to.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Love the apron idea that was suggested. I've been wanting something to hold a large-ish tug toy in during training. Maybe an apron with big pockets would work!

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I have this one

http://www.amazon.com/PetSport-50010-Petsport-Biscuit-Buddy/dp/B0009YYKQM/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1441315632&sr=1-1&keywords=biscuit+buddy

and another one (no idea what kind as my son took it and hasn't returned it, he's using it with his dog). I don't like it particularly well, but it is passable. It was supposed to be hubby's, he didn't want to use the pink one (the other one is pink because that is what they had, I'm not a fan either). I have all the same issues CptJack mentioned. The dogs definitely notice if I have the treat bag and if you move too much it falls off. It also won't hold toys or multiple types of treats separately which I don't like. However carrying treats in a backpack isn't great for rapid treating so I keep using it for everyday training. I love winter when I can just wear a coat with pockets. I do have a pack for outings and I am considering an apron for training use (not that it wouldn't still be a tell).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts