Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rescued a 3 yrs old red nose pitbull and have been training him. He does well when he knows I have the training treat bag. I think he really associates the bag with treats and gets eager to get one, which causes him to not have his attention on me. How can I get around this issue? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Dave
KD2BMU

·
Registered
221 Posts
I rescued a 3 yrs old red nose pitbull and have been training him. He does well when he knows I have the training treat bag. I think he really associates the bag with treats and gets eager to get one, which causes him to not have his attention on me. How can I get around this issue? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Dave
KD2BMU
Well you need to de-sensitise him to you carrying the bag around, meaning no treats from the bag until he's calm. Even if you wear it all day and mark then treat when he shows calm behaviour when the bag is around that will help.
Or if you want to get him motivated and slightly excited when the bag comes out because that means training have two states, when the bag is around the room to see or in your hand then the treats dont come from there, they come from your hand without going into the bag and he has to be calm with it present but as soon as it goes on your belt he it's training time and he can get motivated and ready to train and treats come from there. That's how i'd do it anyway.

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
Try keeping treats in random places around the house so he learns treats can come at any time, not just when the pouch comes out.

If the weather is also cooling off where you are, you can also use pockets of sweaters or jackets to keep the treats in vs a bag.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
I would start by putting the bait bag on a table or counter nearby. Let him see that it's there and available, but not on your person. Then gradually move further away from it. Then put treats in your pockets, so you're not always rewarding from the bait bag.

I also agree with keeping a little stash of treats throughout the house so you can reward him randomly. Make him think that you might have treats on you at any time.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I'm not a fan of treat pouches, personally for reasons like this. Dogs absolutely know when you have them and when you don't. I just keep treats the pockets of my pants, shorts, hoodies, vests, shirts, etc. My dogs would totally and easily find the treats stashed around the house.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I'm not a fan of treat pouches, personally for reasons like this. Dogs absolutely know when you have them and when you don't. I just keep treats the pockets of my pants, shorts, hoodies, vests, shirts, etc. My dogs would totally and easily find the treats stashed around the house.
Same. Don't put them in your back pockets and forget they're there, though... I did that yesterday, then two hours later realized I had a pocket full of treat crumbs. :)

·
Registered
357 Posts
I copied the hand pocket of a "hoodie" and sewed it on a tee shirt. I made several of these in different colors. Also a couple sweat shirts. I have at least half a dozen hoodies I use in the winter.

I have several leather jackets for very cold winters and just put treats in my pockets.

I don't use a treat bag itself at all.

I wear these for all dog events be they training, out for a poop walk, out for a long exercise walk and in my truck. I use treats for good behavior in the truck.....sit calmly when passing livestock, people and other dogs. I reward for active bark and attention when Sam spots a deer that I don't see. She has saved us at least half a dozen times at night spotting deer I didn't see.
These all work great for treats.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies. I have started using pockets, instead of the treat pouch.

Dave
KD2BMU

1 - 8 of 8 Posts