Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how do i teach my dog the treat on nose trick? i'm sure there are steps to take to eventually get to treat on the nose. any suggestions? she knows leave it pretty well. she's a 10 month old vizsla

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I've started by holding my dog's nose/head still and telling him to wait as I place the teat on his nose. Less than half a second later I tell him good and then "eat it" (my command for getting and eating the treat on his nose) and release his face as I do. I'm not sure this is the best way to do it but it's working for me. Don't make your girl keep the treat on her nose for a long period time, not at first. Keep it short and easy.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I start that way as well, I teach stay first and teach the dog to stay in a few positions like playing dead or heel and whatever, and teach a release word as well so the dog gets the concept of stay in a position until released with an easier trick. Food on the nose can be tough unless the dog knows those concepts ahead of time.

Then it's not as hard for the dog to pick up the stay with the treat on the nose, and the release to toss it up and catch it as they already get the concepts involved. I usually hold their nose, repeat stay, and then release the nose and give the release word and work up from there until I can do it without holding the face for just a second or two, then work up to longer stay times from there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts