Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there!

Looking for some advice as to what treats, bones, etc. would be good for a 2 month old puppy! Right now we bought "Blue Buffalo Blue Bits Tender Beef Recipe Soft-Moist Training Dog Treats" and our pup loves them! We give them to him while we're potty training right now.

I'm wondering if anyone has advice on any other treats that are 1) made in the US or Canada (not made in China or anything, we've heard horror stories) and 2) made with quality ingredients. The thing we liked about the Blue treats are that they are made with better ingredients than most treats.

I know some of the raw-hide bones can peel apart and puppies and adult dogs alike can choke on them, are there any other options for a good chew bone, especially while he's teething now?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
17,915 Posts
My favorite thing to use for treats for small dogs and puppies are dehydrated raw dog foods. Super high quality, and it's a balanced diet so you don't have to worry about them not eating enough 'real' food or overloading them on junk.

That's fairly expensive, but lasts forever.

Barring that, boiled chicken is cheap and healthy and shreds apart easily.

Chew wise - bullsticks and buffalo horns.

·
Registered
363 Posts
For training treats I really like Ziwipeak. They make dog treats but it is almost identical to their dog food and buying the 450g bags is a lot cheaper than the little bags of treats if you will be using them a lot. My dog loves the stuff and I don't feel bad about a single ingredient in it. I also very often just use blueberries as treats. My dog is a huge fan of fresh fruit and these are tiny and very low calorie.

I don't have any recommendations for chews because I stay away from all hard chews as I've had issues with cracked teeth in the past. If I do give a chew, it is a softer dental chew or tendons. Usually I just give her a frozen Ziwi filled Kong topped with peanut butter or yoghurt if I want to keep her busy for a little bit. That would probably be good for a teething pup as it is rubber and cold usually feels good to them.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
I also use Ziwipeak! It's moderately high value for my dogs - they'll work for it outside of the house, but it's not enough to get my reactive dog's attention if we encounter a trigger. But for regular training it's great.

For chews, I use bully sticks, dried tendon, esophagus, and raw meaty bones. I gave Tessa raw chicken wings when she was a baby puppy, but she was only 4.5 lbs when I got her at 9 weeks; for a larger puppy I'd try duck feet, or meaty ribs.

·
Banned
1 Posts
Use homemade treats, really easy to make, healthy with ground meat, ginger, and egg, then bake...like a jerky. If I may, I'll post a link to the ones I made (no ads, doing it for fun):

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.