Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are tentatively planning a trip to Banff National Park (Canada) next summer. We will be camping the first half of the week, in a hotel the second half of the week. Obviously we will be doing a lot of hiking and sightseeing as that is the goal of this trip, and I would love to have Oli with us as I think he would really enjoy it, and he also doesn't do well when I'm away for extended periods of time.

I want to bring Oli, but have a few worries. One being that he has never been on a plane. He's pretty unflappable as far as being in/experiencing new places goes, as long as I'm with him, so I'm not worried about once we get to Banff. But I imagine the plane would be stressful for him regardless. I'm planning to look into and test out some calming treats/drops etc. He would be flying in the cabin with us, btw. The flight is roughly 5-6 hours from what I can see, but it's too far out for me to actually select a flight - we may have to take a connecting flight.

My SO is terrified that he will somehow get snagged in customs and get quarantined or something will happen to him. Although all of my research thus far shows that as long as he has a current rabies, microchip, and a health certificate, he will be fine and not subject to quarantine or the like. She is also concerned about his ears popping on the flight.

Has anyone here travelled across borders with their dog? Specifically from the US into Canada? What were your experiences, how did your dog handle it? Just looking for some input!

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I have not but many of those competing in IGP do so regularly. In fact, we had a competitor at our last trial FROM Canada who competed successfully with their Swiss Shepherd and who also competed successfully at the Canadian WDF a week or so ago. Several of the dogs competing were from the US. My understanding is the same as yours. Rabies, Health certificate, microchip....

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I have never flown with dogs across the border, but we have driven from Canada to the USA and back again with our dogs several times and there has never been any issue. The most we got one time was when Pepper was still a puppy the border control agent asked if she was Canadian too ;-)

Flying might be different, but I would assume so long as you have his paperwork for vaccines, etc. you should be fine. Rabies is usually the biggest concern and since both the US and Canada have rabies in the country already, and your dog is vaccinated, I don't see any reason for quarantine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts