Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Traveling with the dog

579 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Kat_Renee 
#1 ·
DH and i will be taking a road trip to Maine (from Louisiana)with Belvie (45 lbs aussie mix) in three weeks. This will be his first long trip anywhere. Currently the longest he's ever been in the car has been an hour. For the 4th we are making a two hour trip with him, so it will be interesting to see how he does with a longer trip.

I have internet researched a lot on taking trips with dogs. I do know most of the usual tips (take medical history, recent pics of pup, got traveling harness, frequent stops, water from home..). We are taking him to the vet next weekend to get a general check-up and any boosters he may need. I'll be asking the vet a *lot* of questions also.

What i would like to know if any of you guys have any tips from experience. What has made traveling with your dog easier? Anything you wished you knew the first time? Anything i should do the day before?

I've also heard that there is a high-calorie food out there for traveling. That way the pup can still get in his calories without the bulk of his usual food. Anyone heard of that? I am a bit skeptical because i don't want doggy mud butt (and Belvie doesn't want it either).

Thanks!

Kat

See less See more
#4 ·
Two years ago before my son passed away we drove to Utah to see my husband, he was working there and couldnt get the time off for my sons birthday or Easter, I live in Michigan so Utah is pretty far, I took Gypsy to the vet she was all up to date on her shots and I do have an SUV so her crate fit in the back. The vet gave her doggy Xanax just in case she became upset.. She actually did very well, the only issue we did have was when we stopped at a hotel, being a rottweiler she is always on guard so she would BARK at night when we(and other people) would try and sleep... She drank plenty of fluids and ate but she rarely went to the bathroom during our stops.

After my son passed we went back to Utah and this time we didnt do Xanax but Benadryl and again she did fine.. I guess it all depends on the dog, my mom travels to Florida with her maltese and he just chills out in the back seat

good luck!

#5 ·
Thanks guys! We are planning to get the car checked, but i didn't think about the AC. We don't have a crate to use (it's a smaller car we are using- yaris hatchback. the large car(mine) probably won't make it), but we have a car harness/seat belt converter.

I am hoping he will be the type of dog that just chills. He usually does.. hopefully he will on a long trip.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.