Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we are moving to newfoundland in about a month (i am so happy :D). we are driving with the dog, 2 cats and 2 ferrets.

we have to take a ferry to get to newfoundland and on the ferry we have 2 options for animals; to keep them in your car, or to put them in a kennel room. they suggest that you leave your dog in your car since it is more comfortable for them. we had to ask my husband's parents to come from newfoundland to drive back with us in order to be able to leave iorek in the car since they have a van and we can fit his kennel in there.

if iorek was to go in the kennel room we would have to get a plastic kennel (we have a wire one) and he has not been in one like that before. it is a room where other animals will be, in their own kennels and they give you a key pass to get in to take your dog out to relieve themselves on some sort of material. in order to get from the vehicle deck to the kennel area iorek will have to be muzzled - their rule. he has never had a muzzle on before, i don't know how that would be.

we have decided to keep iorek in the van in his own kennel since he is used to the kennel and will not be disturbed by other people coming in to check on their pets. only problem is we are not allowed on the vehicle deck during the trip (6-8 hours) and he will have to be there alone that time. i know that he will not have an issue with needing to go potty, i will take him out before we get on the ferry and when we get off the ferry, but i worry that he will be scared and bored. what can i give him to help ease his mind during that time? it will be dark and loud (boat engines) and smelly from the diesel fuel, but it shouldn't be too smelly in the van. i can give him some kongs but i don't want to give him too much food since i don't know if he will get sea sick (i really hope not!) also giving him frozen kongs will be pretty much impossible since we have to drive 5 hours to get to the ferry to begin with! i will give him a little water and maybe a few treats in his kong, but not too much.

what do you think i could do to make this easier for him?

btw, the cats will be let free in the car during the trip on the ferry (in carriers while we are driving) to be able to use the litter and get a little food and water, they have done this trip a bunch of times with us and are used to it now. the ferrets will be in a bunny cage since i want them to have more room than a carrier and they will have water, food, litter, and hammocks.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
No real ideas on the boredom thing. A chew toy maybe. Probably not a real issue unless he has separation anxiety, he'll likely just sleep for most of it.

I would ask this though, not knowing the ferry.

Is the van going to be out on an open deck in the sun? Could get real hot in there in 6-8 hours even in cool weather. That may be why they have the kennel room in the first place.

Edit: Ahh never mind, I missed the "dark" part..

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no, the vehicle deck is on the bottom. they have a kennel area for the dogs that cannot stay in a car for that long. if we were not able to get a kennel in the van then we would not be able to leave him in the car, he has never been in a car alone for more than 5 minutes.

we are hoping for the new ferry, the crossing would be then 4 hours. yay!

i think that he will sleep too, but i am worried that since it will be a completely new situation he might be scared.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts