Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
:wave:

We will be getting our second dog (first puppy) in a few weeks. She is a labrador x cocker spaniel and will be 8 weeks old. We are going to crate train her to (hopefully) speed up house training but mostly to give her a cosy respite that is all hers to relax in should our 2 or 4 year old get a bit too much!

Our current ex-rescue 10 year old dog sleeps on our bed and we would like the new puppy to sleep in our room.

We already have a crate for downstairs from a previous (also ex-rescue) dog, and would probably be looking at getting another one for the bedroom as it's too large to easily move upstairs every night. As we go to visit family for a few weeks each year I was wondering if it might be appropriate to get a collapsible fabric crate for her 'bed' in the bedroom to then be able to use this as her normal crate when we are traveling away from home.

Would this be an option if I made it smaller by say throwing in an old quilt at one end so that it doesn't start out too big? Could I use an alternative like bedding in consecutively bigger cardboard boxes until she is big enough for the travel crate? Do I just have to accept that I will need to buy a 3rd (will need one for the car) wire crate for the bedroom as well and will need to just bring this with us when we go visit relatives?

Thanks in advance (and sorry for the long post)!

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
I would not use a fabric crate for a puppy.

1-- hard to clean potty accidents
2-- easy to chew and damage / escape from

I'd get a basic wire crate that is secure and easy to clean. Many come with removable wire dividers to "grow' the crate with your puppy.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Definitely agree, regular wire crate for house, car crate and if you fly and plan on taking the dog on the plane a soft one for under the seat.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I don't know, I think that a deep-sided box would work for the first few weeks and you may even be able to use a fabric crate after that. This is assuming that (a) the puppy is only contained this way when humans are sleeping in the same room, and (b) that your puppy likes sleeping at night, and only wakes up to go for bathroom breaks. I think you'd be able to hear if she is attempting to escape either option if you're in the room, unless you're a heavy sleeper!

I didn't want to have a crate in the living room plus an additional crate in the bedroom either, so my solution was to start out with the small "baby" sized crate in the bedroom and nothing set up in the living room. When my puppy grew out of the smaller crate I set up the large one and she started sleeping in the living room or in our bed with us at night, depending on when she fell asleep and when we went to bed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts