Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All right.

So. Early this afternoon I went into the kitchen to make lunch. Jack came with me. As I was standing at the counter working, the cabinet full of dishes came off the wall and hit me in the head.

I am concussed, and all over bruised and sore, but will live.

Jack, meanwhile, refuses to come into the kitchen. This would be less of an issue if he had a way to go outside to pee that wasn't the kitchen. He is entirely unfood motivated.

Help?

(Today: Puppy, Concussion, traumatized dog. Happy Father's Day? :doh: )

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Ouch!

Well, first off, it's going to take a little time. Events like that cause stress hormones to be released and it takes time for them to be cleared out.

What does motivate your dog? Praise? Toys? Something must motivate him, use that to encourage him to like the kitchen again. Every time he willingly takes one step in, or just looks at the entrance, give him what he likes. I had to do this with Kabota and the bathroom. He started out afraid to look in it, now I can't pee alone.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We are starting to make a bit of progress using praise and baby talk (whatever works). Meanwhile, I feel bad. Because tomorrow morning he's still going to have to be picked up and carried through it, which I recognize is bad. But short of putting him out a window, we're kind of stuck.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Oh my goodness! Sorry to hear your day went so badly!

I agree with Amaryllis ... I had to do this for Eddee over the ceiling light fixtures last week. Somehow he was petrified of them. :/ ... and I hope tomorrow goes much better for you. :)

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
If it was me, I would ignore it and let him come back on his own. The kitchen is a wonderful place, most dogs will battle within themselves to find a way to hang out there. I would trust him to shake it off.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would if there were another way out of my house, but short of allowing him to pee inside - I'm not sure I *can*. Hopefully housetraining will win out over 'OMG THAT"S SCARY', come morning.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My apologies... I'm not sure how I missed that. Reading too much about the food training thread in the training section! Sorry!
It's okay! I've been all over there, too >.>

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
How old is the pup, Capt?
This is so not unusual to have a fear episode related to an incident like this. One incident learning can be a really uncommon thing, but if the event is scary enough to the animal..well, there ya are.

I would just carry him out for now and work on the fear issue when it's not a "pee" break time so as not to stress the pup out further. It may take a day or two but once he sees his dad doesn't have crap fall on his head everytime and he gets in and out without a big scary noise, it will likely pass.

When you do the training, I would recommend you shape it and reward away from the kitchen (the source of the stress). For example: He looks at the kitchen door, mark and toss a high value reward AWAY from the kitchen door so he gets a reprieve. It works as a functional reward (relief plus treat). Eventually it will become a game: move toward the kitchen, get a treat. Shape an entry etc. You'll get there AND you will be teaching your new pup a shaping game, which sets up for some fun training stuff later!

Edited to add: I meant to say I'm sorry about your head, and your dishes but forgot while I was typing! Someone needs to rehang that shelf PROPERLY! Feel better!

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He's 5 and a half years old. I'll definitely be picking him up and carrying him in and out tomorrow. He's pretty scheduled with potty breaks, so it shouldn't be too big a deal.

That's a great breakdown of what I need to do. Thank you for that.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Ooh poor dude! I was worried it was a puppy..but it's even harder when it's a grown dog. You are very welcome and give the boy a scritch for me...scary stuff!

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
One interesting benefit of not generalizing is that sometimes dogs don't like to get "into" trouble... but they may not mind "coming out of" trouble. Let em explain.

Go ahead and carry him outside. But when you bring him inside, see if he will come in own his own, and if not, carry him inside, and set him down in the kitchen, right inside the back door, then walk through the kitchen and let him follow.

He may not like to come into the kitchen, but he may have less trouble walking through the kitchen, once he's inside. He still won't like to come into the kitchen, but this may make the desensitizing time a little shorter...

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One interesting benefit of not generalizing is that sometimes dogs don't like to get "into" trouble... but they may not mind "coming out of" trouble. Let em explain.

Go ahead and carry him outside. But when you bring him inside, see if he will come in own his own, and if not, carry him inside, and set him down in the kitchen, right inside the back door, then walk through the kitchen and let him follow.

He may not like to come into the kitchen, but he may have less trouble walking through the kitchen, once he's inside. He still won't like to come into the kitchen, but this may make the desensitizing time a little shorter...
This is how it's played out on today's two potty trips. First time he *bolted* out. For the noon one he just followed me through. He's still jittery in there, but I think he's going to figure it out pretty fast.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
This is the little dog in your icon? Give him time to get over it. In the meantime, I'd just pick him up to take him outside.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's the little guy in my icon, yeah. And so far, so good. I actually took him outside for potty trip 3 and then left the door open and he did a lot of running in and out from the kitchen to outside and seems largely over it now. Largely, because he's still refusing food/treats, but frankly that dog refuses food and treats if the wind blows funny, and has since long before I had him. (There are blog posts online about the problems keeping him at a reasonable weight for showing, which is why he was ultimately retired before he finished his GRCH. He just. Goes off food if you look at him funny. (It's not medical)).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts