Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at loss, and I'm not sure what to do.

July 3rd and a couple days before, Stardust will hear the fireworks then she would just bark and howl. We tried to calm her down a little, but then she goes back to her normal business once they stop. However, on July 4th, Roy and I went out to see the fireworks, and we left her in her crate with some toys and Kong treats hopefully to have her distracted by the noise. We also left the TV on loud to keep her company. When we got back, we discovered that 3 of our neighbors have been doing fireworks all night. Stardust didn't seem fazed by it, so we thought okay, she's probably just fine. We took her out, and the neighbors shot up a huge firework that scared her really badly. She bolted for the door. We had a really hard time getting her to go pee without having the fireworks going off.

The next day, it was obvious that the fireworks has affected her somehow. We would take her outside in the front yard (we have to because our entire backyard is just concrete due to pool and mini golf course). She would just tuck in her tail once she saw the house that was shooting off the big one on Saturday, and dragged us down to go inside. After a few times, she finally went out in the front at 10am after not peeing for 12 hours! After a little while, she had no problem pooping. We thought it was over...however, she refuses to go outside after a while. We tried to take her out, entice her with treats, but once she gets closer to the area where she normally go potty, she just flips out and bolt for the door. I tried to take her 10 feet down the sidewalk to take her for a WALK, and maybe she'll pee in someone else's yard (she rarely does). But, she is so scared of going for a walk. She would stay down close to the ground, tail tucked in and just pulling the leash. I have tried to bring her to a different spot in our front yard (we have a huge front yard).

Last night, she finally went outside in our backyard (poop and pee) at around 930pm, since 3:30pm. She normally asks to go out every 3 to 4 hours. While we understand her fearfulness, we really don't want her to pee on the concrete as it stains it.

I'm afraid that it has traumatized her for life. She doesn't want to go for a walk anymore.

Is there anything I can do???

·
Registered
301 Posts
I am not sure what to tell you. My doberman HATES fireworks as well. But he gets over the phase after a few days! My macaw about fell off her cage on Saturday when someone litl fire crackers! Completely freaked him out and he went running iinto his gage telling he "hi" about 50 times (he says that when he is nervous)!!!

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
I believe you're correct with the fireworks problem as it sometimes with some dogs be a lifelong problem. Use clorox bleach on concrete and that should help with staining.

The walking will get back to normal, it will take some time for dog to understand that fireworks are not going to be a problem on all walks. For short term just jump dog into car drive down a block or 2 to start your walk. There was some great advice before the 4th that might have helped you avoid the problem. You may have to consult a behaviorist.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts