Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in rural Alaska and we don't have much in the way of stores. I'm driving to Fairbanks later this week, and Jet the puppy has an appointment, so he's coming, too. He's outgrown his old airline crate. He has a crate in the house, but it's a giant one. I've ordered a more moderately sized crate that'll fit in the cab of my vehicle, but it hasn't arrived yet, and I'm not sure it will by when I need to go, because shipping here is ridiculous. Letting him loose in the vehicle for a multi-hour drive is so not an option if I want to arrive alive, and I think if I buckle him in with the dog seatbelt thing I have, he'll either escape or strangle himself in it. I've been asking around, but it doesn't seem that any of my friends have an appropriately sized crate I could borrow. Any ideas on how to safely contain him for the drive? I think he'd chew his way out of a cardboard box with airholes...I guess I could see if anyone wants to ride with me and wrangle the little guy, but that's a hassle.

He's only pushing 30 lbs now, but he's lanky.

Maybe the answer is "just reschedule" but I figured I'd ask in case anyone had a DIY solution I was overlooking.

·
Registered
11,440 Posts
Spare wood and woven wire? Build a box crate with a plywood bottom.
Totally not a crash tested safety thing like an airline crate would be, but it could contain him to help prevent a crash from wild puppy antics

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
If the main focus is keeping him from getting to the front of the vehicle and distracting you/climbing all over you (because as Shell mentioned, you won't be able to construct anything crash tested or actually "safe"), then I'd just rig something up to block access to the front. Off the top of my head I can image some kind of tarp/rope or bungee cord strapped around the front seats or a few boards of wood somehow secured.

Then I'd probably give him a frozen kong to keep him quiet and less likely to test my questionable divider, have some other chews lined up for the ride home, and if possible take him for a walk before the return trip to wear him out a little more.

EDIT: I thought about it a little more and maybe you could take a panel off of the crate or an x-pen to use as the divider?

·
Registered
7,325 Posts
Assuming your pup won't chew through his harness during a drive... Chain leash tether, attached to back of harness. If he won't chew through a fabric leash, that works too.
Or if loose, a divider is a great idea. Plenty of long lasting food items...

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions! Luckily, the crate arrived today, but who knows when the ideas might come in use.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts