Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, time to switch to a new food. I need to determine if my boy has a chicken or potato sensitivity and if that is causing the soft stools. I plan to do the transition very slowly - over a few weeks. I'm switching from Acana Wild Prairie to Earthborn Holistics Great Plains. I've heard the transition to a holistic food can be a difficult one??

He is still currently taking Honest Kitchen Perfect form and Fortiflora from the vet and I'm going to start goat's milk tonight. Any suggestions as to how to make this transition as easy as possible? Have you guys used anything else? He is not a fan of pumpkin although I think I will try it again. Don't want to do sweet potato, in case potato is the issue.

Has anyone used anything else or done anything else to make the transition easier?

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
What's the milk for?

Mix the kibbles. Feed 75% old stuff and 25% new stuff for a couple days. Then 50/50 a few days, then 72/25, then all new stuff. My foster dog switched from nasty kibble to Earthborn and he did just fine. I have to order it, and the shop didn't order it last time I called so he ended up running out of food completely (manager out of town) so I had to grab a bag in store. I picked Acana. He had it last night and this morning and so far no issuse at all even with no gradual transition.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I've heard the transition to a holistic food can be a difficult one??
I think when people say this, they mean more like, it can be tough at first to transition from a crappy food that's low in protein and fat ('Ol Roy, Beneful, Kibbles 'n Bits, etc), to a premium (or "holistic," same idea) brand that has higher protein and fat. You're switching from one "holistic" brand to another right now, since Acana and Earthborn are both good brands. It shouldn't be a big issue. Just transition slowly as you've planned and it should be fine.

My dog changes foods so often that I can switch her cold turkey now. Her body can handle it because she's used to it. I'm sure if people ate prepared diets exclusively for months at a time, we would have minor issues switching too. But since we don't, our bodies are ready to digest new things at any given time. It's just that the bacteria in a dog's gut becomes optimized for breaking down certain things, and when they start eating something else you just have to wait for the right flora to accumulate to optimize their body to the new food. Or that's a simple way of understanding it. :)

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Great advice from Sibe & KafkaBeetle. I just transitioned my dog from TOTW to Earthborn. We went very slowly and Sunday was the first day of all Earthborn. So far, so good. She's had consistently soft stools since we brought her home last October, but things seem to be firming up :)

Ok, time to switch to a new food. I need to determine if my boy has a chicken or potato sensitivity and if that is causing the soft stools. I plan to do the transition very slowly - over a few weeks. I'm switching from Acana Wild Prairie to Earthborn Holistics Great Plains. I've heard the transition to a holistic food can be a difficult one??

He is still currently taking Honest Kitchen Perfect form and Fortiflora from the vet and I'm going to start goat's milk tonight. Any suggestions as to how to make this transition as easy as possible? Have you guys used anything else? He is not a fan of pumpkin although I think I will try it again. Don't want to do sweet potato, in case potato is the issue.

Has anyone used anything else or done anything else to make the transition easier?
Just an aside, white potatoes and sweet potatoes are not related botanically, so your pup may be fine with sweet potato (unless you've tried it before with poor results).

Good luck! I've seen the threads about your pup's digestive woes. Hope the change is good for him.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Hi.....I switched from TOTW to Earthborn when Diamond had it's recalls a few months ago. I went cold turkey, because the bag of TOTW I had was one of the ones that were listed in the recall & I didn't want to give him anymore once I found out, so I didn't have a choice. He did fine. I feed him the Grain Free Earthborn, I got 3 different varieties (one is bison, one is salmon & one is lamb) he does well on all of them, and he really likes them. I just added " Go " into the rotation, just to change things for him once in awhile (I look at it like having sprinkles on your ice cream once in awhile)

Here is the website for " Go "......he loves this food too, & does well on it too. I also feed the Grain Free from this brand.

http://www.petcurean.com/

I also give him sweet potatoes, green beans, peas & carrots, boiled chicken & beef stew meat.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
This is a list of dog foods that are potato free (grainfree as well), in case you want to do more research. Not all of the foods in each one are potato free, you need to look at the ingredients list.

Darford Zero, Instinct, Canine Caviar, Horizon Legacy, Nutrisca, Brothers Allergy (only available online, google for the website), Back to Basics pork, Grandma Lucys, Nutrisource, The Honest Kitchen's Zeal and Earthborn (only meadow feastz)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What's the milk for?

Mix the kibbles. Feed 75% old stuff and 25% new stuff for a couple days. Then 50/50 a few days, then 72/25, then all new stuff. My foster dog switched from nasty kibble to Earthborn and he did just fine. I have to order it, and the shop didn't order it last time I called so he ended up running out of food completely (manager out of town) so I had to grab a bag in store. I picked Acana. He had it last night and this morning and so far no issuse at all even with no gradual transition.
I!m doing a slower mix. Started with mixing only 1/8 of a cup.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi.....I switched from TOTW to Earthborn when Diamond had it's recalls a few months ago. I went cold turkey, because the bag of TOTW I had was one of the ones that were listed in the recall & I didn't want to give him anymore once I found out, so I didn't have a choice. He did fine. I feed him the Grain Free Earthborn, I got 3 different varieties (one is bison, one is salmon & one is lamb) he does well on all of them, and he really likes them. I just added " Go " into the rotation, just to change things for him once in awhile (I look at it like having sprinkles on your ice cream once in awhile)

Here is the website for " Go "......he loves this food too, & does well on it too. I also feed the Grain Free from this brand.

http://www.petcurean.com/ I also give him sweet potatoes, green beans, peas & carrots, boiled chicken & beef stew meat.[/QUOTE] Go! Is definitely one that I would like to investigate.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is a list of dog foods that are potato free (grainfree as well), in case you want to do more research. Not all of the foods in each one are potato free, you need to look at the ingredients list.

Darford Zero, Instinct, Canine Caviar, Horizon Legacy, Nutrisca, Brothers Allergy (only available online, google for the website), Back to Basics pork, Grandma Lucys, Nutrisource, The Honest Kitchen's Zeal and Earthborn (only meadow feastz)
Thanks for the info InkedMarie!

·
Registered
509 Posts
He loves " Go " - I can only get it on-line, but he loves it & he's doing great on it. I am definitely keeping it the rotation. :)

·
Registered
1,258 Posts

Innova Prime is also grain and potato free. I'm feeding my allergy dog, Maddie, the fish version of this food, with better results than some of the other foods. It's hard to find a potato free kibble!

I also transition a sensitive dog slowly: 1/4 - 3/4 (new/old) for a week, then 1/2 - 1/2 for a week, then 3/4 - 1/4 for a week, then all new. Keep an eye on the poops and go even slower, if necessary.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You're welcome! It had been talked about alot on another place so I started keeping notes LOL
That's exactly what I just did! LOL! Earthborn Great Plains Feast is also potato free. That's the one I've just started feeding. He seems to be doing ok. I'm making the switch very slowly and watching the poops.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's been 9 days and I'm happy to report that Duke is doing really well on the Earhtborn Holistics Great Plains Feast. He loves the bision and it seems to agree with him! I've been giving him Gentle Digest pre and probiotic daily prior to his first meal. His stools started to firm up within a few days and they've remained that way. His coat is so soft and shiny as well! Not sure if the change in the probiotic helped or the change in the food helped but for right now, I'm happy!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts