Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning (its a.m. where I'm at) :wave:

I have two dogs, India (Lab) & Navarre (Retriever mix). They are now 8 & 7 years old respectively. And I'm thinking about switching them to dog food for seniors, but there is an issue:

Navarre has food allergies. He's been on Nutro Limited Ingredient Diet Dog Food - Natural, Grain Free, Venison Meal & Sweet Potato for years and has done quite well on it.

Can anyone recommend a venison dog food for senior dogs?

Thank you in advance,

Rebecca Feinstein

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
No need to switch.

Senior food is marketing basically. AAFCO has only 2 nutrient profiles "growth and reproduction" and "adult maintanance"
If a food meets both profile standards, it can be labeled All Life Stages. Senior food has no definition so its just how the maker decides to label a formula. Usually a lower protein and lower calorie one, which is kind of backwards because seniors need plenty of protein as they process it less efficiently than younger dogs.
My 10ish year old large breed eats a high protein all life stages food for active dogs!

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Everything Shell said. My 13 yo eats the same food as my 2.5 yo and they both do great on it. No need to switch just because her age has hit some arbitrary threshold.

Also, a lot of "Senior" foods advertise that they contain glucosamine and chondroiton for healthy joints.... not only is there little evidence that glucosamine is effective, but I have yet to find a food that wouldn't require a dog to have to eat several times his daily ration to get the therapeutic dose of glucosamine/chondroiton.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
If your dog is doing well on his current food, I would just keep him on it. Like others have said, there is not much of a difference between senior and adult foods. If he's starting to have certain issues with, say, his joints or something, you might consider a supplement instead of switching his food, so then if he has a reaction you know exactly what did it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Sian12,

I checked out Dogfoodadvisor.com and was impressed with all the information (BTW, how do you become a member??), but still didn't get a definitive answer.

After reading all replies to my initial question, I decided to keep Navarre on his current dog food, Nutro Essentials Venison & Sweet Potato. However, now, there is another problem...

I can't find it ANYWHERE (Petco, PetSmart, Amazon, 1800PetSupplies, etc.)! Anyone know what is going on?

In the meantime, I tried switching him to Natural Balance Venison & Sweet Potato (I checked all the ingredients and amounts thereof, carefully and except for the zinc, they seem to be the same) however, Navarre is now scratching himself horribly and I have to get something else or he will scratch himself bloody (which is how I found out about the allergies to begin with, he chewed his feet until they bled)!

Any suggestions??

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm glad that website helped! I don't know how to become a member, I just read the information and made notes. i think they also have a discussion forum there somewhere but I'm not sure I could find it again.

I order our dogs' food from Petflow and have been very pleased with the service. I think they have your brand: https://www.petflow.com/product/nutro/nutro-venison-meal-and-whole-brown-rice-formula-dry-dog-food

I can't compare prices because what I get isn't available anywhere else either (Horizon Amicus), but if you order several bags at once then shipping is free. My dog is allergic to whatever prairie grass comes up in the late summer, not to any food ingredients, I just wanted something healthy, grain-free and not too fatty.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts