Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i've owned dogs for years, mainly newfoundlands that we took in as part of a rescue group. Now a friend of mine adopted a huskie from the animal shelter in our county in the past year, and she is getting ready to move and can't take the dog with her. So the dog is going to stay with me, how do we transfer ownership papers?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I'm not aware of Kentucky laws but I have never heard of "ownership papers" outside of adoption/breeders contracts.
- Check the original adoption papers for a "transfer" clause. Some will stipulate the dog must go back to the shelter if the dog can't be kept, some will say they need to be notified, etc.
- Scan for a microchip and have the information on the chip changed to yours (call the registration company).
- Check city ordinances. Where I lived if you harbored an animal for 3 days without a specific agreement you were watching the animal for someone the animal was yours according to the city. Microchipping an animal also changed ownership according to animal control.

I don't have "ownership papers" on either of my dogs. I adopted them (I have the original adoption contracts), microchipped them and they are tagged as mine. I have no official piece of paper that says I "own animal X"

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
Ditto for me in Texas. No papers. Anyone that calls my dog by name, becomes his owner... in his mind :) I think that the only hold I have over him is a food bowl. Thank goodness that Labs like to eat.

·
Registered
11,257 Posts
You can always write up your own "ownership papers" in case you think someone might challenge your ownership of the dog.
But basically, what Charis said-
Make sure its okay by the shelter adoption papers (many request the dog be returned if he can't be kept HOWEVER since most shelters are overfull and struggling, they will generally just ask for some basic information on you to see that you are a suitable owner, like as if you were going to adopt a dog from them OR just wave it off and say okay)

Update the microchip info or get the dog chipped if he is not.

Get new tags.

Register the dog with your city or county if you are required to do so. If the dog is already registered with the city, your friend will probably need to check a box on her license renewal form (when it comes due) that she has sold/given away the dog.

Its not like a car with title, unfortunately in some ways.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts