Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if anyone can share ideas for training with distractions. Primarily I'm looking to work on recall. My pup is 6 months old and over the last 2 weeks our recall has really started to get terrible!

So my question is where are some good types of places/situations to work on recall that have worked for you. I will start in my backyard but that will only do us so much good...What would be the next step after mastering the back yard?

I'm going to get her signed up for the next level of obedience classes but I'm just trying to get a head start.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Pet stores, tractor supply, the park, any dog event, a sports park, around farm animals if you have access, really anywhere you can take your dog. I work on recall and obedience with food distractions, toys thrown, around traffic, etc. It needs to be solid without distractions first of course.

·
Registered
507 Posts
My local Home Depot and Lowe's stores allow dogs. We've spent a lot of time in them, cruising the aisles practicing greetings and "leave it." Also, the staff of our PetSmart doesn't mind if we work on recall, as long as my dog wears a drag leash. We usually do off-leash work during slow times, like weekday afternoons.

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
Make sure that you have a solid recall, without distractions. Determine how far you can go - 10 feet, 100 yards?
Then, go to Any different location, and ask for a recall from 5 feet away. Increase the distance until failure, then come back to the last successful distance, and reinforce. It's not accurate, but assume that that distance is your reliable distance [for that location.] and try other locations, shooting for that distance or farther. Even if you don't plan it that way, each new location serves as a different type of distraction.

Incrementally find locations with more foot traffic or with more noise, or more machinery. And, at each location, start at 5 feet and slowly increase the distance.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good suggestions I will def. try some of those places out when we're ready. Part of the problem I'm having is she will only come when she knows I have a high value treat for her. Or if we are leaving the house, going in the back yard, anything really exciting. If I'm just sitting on the couch and I call her she won't come. On the other hand if I have treats she will sit, stay, and I can walk a pretty far distance from her all the way across my yard, then she comes perfectly on my call. So is this dependency on rewards issue something I should work on first before I try harder distractions? Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
One thing I do, especially when starting pups or new dogs, is always keep a treat or toy pouch on me. I do variable rewards, but you have it if needed, the dog never knows when its coming, and later you can phase it out totally.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One thing I do, especially when starting pups or new dogs, is always keep a treat or toy pouch on me. I do variable rewards, but you have it if needed, the dog never knows when its coming, and later you can phase it out totally.
I did a session with her today and tried treating at random. At first she was a little miffed like "where's my treat?" but after a little bit she went along with it...Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts