Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A couple weeks ago, I posted asking for advice pertaining to getting my dog to like his crate more. The general response I got was to keep doing what I was doing and give it more time. :)

I'm happy to report that Big Words is now going reliably into his crate when I give the command, even sprinting at times in order to get the treat! He's not spending any time in the crate otherwise, but I'm okay with that so long as he goes when I need him to. I'll give it a couple more weeks, then possibly start phasing out the treats.

He's learned SIT with a good amount of reliability (I'd say 95% indoors and 60% outside). He will COME when commanded if he feels it is in his best interests. If he's got something else in mind, though, you can pretty much forget about it. ;)

We have been working on loose leash walking, PLACE and STAY commands, but still have a ways to go on those. I've tried teaching him DOWN, but he didn't get it at all, so I stopped as I was getting frustrated. We'll go back to that soon.

EDIT: I forgot to mention -- housebreaking has gone fine... during the week. For some reason, he's still having accidents on the weekends. :(

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Glad to hear things are going well; just keep at it. These things take time and consistency.

How did you try teaching "down"? Usually people try to shape the behaviour (by clicking and treating when he offers the behaviour during training sessions) or by luring (moving a treat downwards so he follows it and lies down). Sometimes this doesn't work, though, so instead they teach it through behaviour capture. Behaviour capture works when you reward him (praise, treat, toy, etc) whenever he's lying down on his own accord...like when he's lazing around on the floor. Once it cottons on that he gets rewarded for lying down, he'll start offering the behaviour when you have a treat in your hand, hoping that he'll get it right and earn the treat. Continue treating him, and when he's lying down reliably, you can start to add a cue.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
2 things, remember it's payback time when people ask about crating make sure you jump on and let them know of success etc. Now I think your schedule is much different on week-ends(don't know for sure, just a guess)easy answer is a much more rigid schedule on outside take outs on week-ends.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
How did you try teaching "down"?.
I tried two different methods. One was to lure him into a SIT position, then hold a treat in front of his nose and move it downward towards the floor. This only succeeded in getting him to turn his head down, see the treat, then look at me like, "Hey! My mouth is up *here*." The second method was to lure into a sit and dangle a treat in front/below him, then guide his front legs forward, as they would be if he was laying. His reply to this was to pop his rear end up as his front end went lower.

Usually people try to shape the behaviour (by clicking and treating when he offers the behaviour during training sessions) or by luring (moving a treat downwards so he follows it and lies down). Sometimes this doesn't work, though, so instead they teach it through behaviour capture. Behaviour capture works when you reward him (praise, treat, toy, etc) whenever he's lying down on his own accord...like when he's lazing around on the floor. Once it cottons on that he gets rewarded for lying down, he'll start offering the behaviour when you have a treat in your hand, hoping that he'll get it right and earn the treat. Continue treating him, and when he's lying down reliably, you can start to add a cue.
I will have to try that method.

2 things, remember it's payback time when people ask about crating make sure you jump on and let them know of success etc.
Will do.

Now I think your schedule is much different on week-ends(don't know for sure, just a guess)easy answer is a much more rigid schedule on outside take outs on week-ends.
I've tried to keep it the same, as far as when I take him out, feed him and walk him. I'm not giving up on him. I think it just needs more time.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
No, I was also wondering about your schedule during week-end because this could throw your dog's progam off even if you take dog out at same times. I'm just curious.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, I was also wondering about your schedule during week-end because this could throw your dog's progam off even if you take dog out at same times. I'm just curious.
Oh, I see. Well, normally during the week, we use this schedule (times may vary one way or the other by as much as 1/2 hour, but roughly speaking):

9 a.m. - Taken outside as soon as I wake up
Noon - Lunch, followed by healthy walk soon after
3 p.m. - Crated for about 20 minutes while I shower and get myself ready for work
4:30 p.m. - Taken out
4:45 p.m. - Crated as I leave for work
1:00 a.m. - Taken out as soon as I get home from work
2:00 a.m. - Crated for the night

Weekends are pretty much the same, with the exception of being crated while I'm gone for work, since I don't work. I do usually crate him for a few hours in the afternoon while I clean up around the house or run errands (2 p.m. to 5 p.m. usually suffices). But, I always take him outside as soon as he's released from his crate. I also have been taking him out sometime between 7 p.m. and 9 p.m. to try to prevent the accidents (It is the weekened evenings when we has been having them.) Yet last weekend, I took him out both times and he still had one around 9:30.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Oh, I see. Well, normally during the week, we use this schedule (times may vary one way or the other by as much as 1/2 hour, but roughly speaking):

9 a.m. - Taken outside as soon as I wake up
Noon - Lunch, followed by healthy walk soon after
3 p.m. - Crated for about 20 minutes while I shower and get myself ready for work
4:30 p.m. - Taken out
4:45 p.m. - Crated as I leave for work
1:00 a.m. - Taken out as soon as I get home from work
2:00 a.m. - Crated for the night

Weekends are pretty much the same, with the exception of being crated while I'm gone for work, since I don't work. I do usually crate him for a few hours in the afternoon while I clean up around the house or run errands (2 p.m. to 5 p.m. usually suffices). But, I always take him outside as soon as he's released from his crate. I also have been taking him out sometime between 7 p.m. and 9 p.m. to try to prevent the accidents (It is the weekened evenings when we has been having them.) Yet last weekend, I took him out both times and he still had one around 9:30.
If I am reading correctly, you work from 4:45 pm to 1:00 am and then week-ends you turn into a daytime person. Your dog is having a shift change. When I was very young I worked in factory and worked changing shifts once a month 1st-2nd-3rd shift. On each change the body mental program had to be adjusted. They say people that work 3rd shift statistically have more accidents. So if I have everything correct this could be the problem that the little dog's system might not be adjusting. I don't know how to fix it but be patient and maybe dog will work it out as he ages. Remember dogs are very perceptive to any kind of home changes. I hope this makes some kind of sense to you. Through the week you are gone at night, week ends you are home.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts