Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 8wk old lab we are trying to crate train, as well as basic commands.

The treats we have been using give him diarrhea-- so bad he had an accident in his crate.

Have tried Dingo Training Treats, Canine Carry Outs- bacon flavor, even deli ham. (all broken into very small pieces)

For the time being, we are using kibble as rewards, but since they are so high calorie and low reward, we'd like to change this!

Any suggestions for soft, small, training treats for puppies?

Thanks much!

Christine

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
Could you look for pumpkin based treats? Pumpkin tends to help with not so good poops. To combat the calories you can just use his regular meal ration, as opposed to giving meals and then using more kibble for treats.

·
Registered
334 Posts
What are you feeding him? I suggest trying a good food specifically made for large breed puppies - they tend to be lower calorie. Portion out his daily amount and use that for all training. He's a lab so probably food obsessed (if he's like most other labs) so it should work out just fine. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the suggestions! We are feeding Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy Food (what the breeder was feeding) and he seems very motivated by it.

Breaking it up into smaller pieces is tedious, but seems to work. This might be a solution for now, but still would like soft treats for puppy kindergarten.
This may be neurotic, but I figured out about how many calories per piece of kibble and it equates to about 1.67 cal per piece, and I have been breaking them in two, so really, less than a calorie per piece!! All that fuss over nothing :)

Stools are still softer than I would like, though. No signs of worms in the stool, though.

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions! We are feeding Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy Food (what the breeder was feeding) and he seems very motivated by it.

Breaking it up into smaller pieces is tedious, but seems to work. This might be a solution for now, but still would like soft treats for puppy kindergarten.
This may be neurotic, but I figured out about how many calories per piece of kibble and it equates to about 1.67 cal per piece, and I have been breaking them in two, so really, less than a calorie per piece!! All that fuss over nothing :)

Stools are still softer than I would like, though. No signs of worms in the stool, though.
Oh lord, you're breaking the individual kibbles up? I can't imagine how long that must take you!

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Has your pup been checked for parasites such as giardia or coccidia? Very common amongst puppies and can cause diarrhea or loose stool.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No he has not- I just looked up the symptoms, and it is entirely possible he could have either.

He has a vet appt Oct 4... Would that be too long to wait to have it checked? I might call the vet in the next day or so if signs don't improve for the little guy.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
You really don't need to be that obsessive about a puppy's caloric intake. He's growing. Just portion out his food into thirds, give him one at breakfast and one at dinner and keep the third for training.

Zukes makes a nice soft training treat.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update:

I asked a vet friend for advice and she said that he could have Parvo so of course that freaked me out.
I took him to urgent care first thing this morning only to find out that he is perfectly healthy! Just possibly a little stressed which is leading to the soft stool.
I had them analyze a stool sample and there was no abnormal bacteria, virus or worms present.

Putting him on a diet of boiled chicken, rice, and pumpkin until stools start hardening, then will cut in his normal puppy food. Have a prescription handy in case he needs it.

Also was able to get his DHPP booster and heart worm meds at this visit! All-in-all a successful vet visit!

Thanks everyone for the responses; I hope this might help out others in a similar situation.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Happy you had a successful vet visit and that your pup is in good health!

If you're still looking for some soft treat suggestions, I really like using soft buddy biscuits. They're soft and chewy and stinky, and they're very easy to break up into tiny pieces (I can usually get 5+ treats out of one "buddy"). I've used them with all of my fosters and my own dog, and none of them have ever had soft stool with them.

An easy-to-digest alternative to use as treats (and as high value ones!) would also be plain, unseasoned, cooked chicken. A lot of people (me included) like to use hot dogs for training classes, but if your pup is already having soft stools, I'd worry about the relatively high fat content in hot dogs making it worse.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I had this same issue with my husky mix girl as a puppy, she had a sensitive tummy and all of the training treats were just too much for her. She would not accept kibble as a high enough value reward so I used string cheese. Cut it up into tiny pieces and it was pretty easy on her stomach. I also made treats out of sweet potato, cut it up into very small pieces, lay it out on a baking sheet (on parchment paper is best) and put it in the oven on low temp (180 or so) bake as long as it takes to dry all the way. You could use a dehydrator if you have one but I don't. These worked great for treats to keep out around the house for catching good behavior as well as for outings when I didn't want to be carrying cheese. I don't think they are quite as high value as cheese but they are pretty good and definitely cleaner if you need to stick some in your pocket. Freyja did grow out of the treat sensitivity, by 6months she could handle normal treats though I still use kibble for training in the house (she decided she could work for her breakfast anyway) and cheese is a pretty common training reward because it is a lot cheaper than decent quality dog treats.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
If you are adamant on using something soft, why not try just boiled chicken
I was going to mention this, but someone already did.

It's generally pretty easy to make. Boil some chicken,& cut it up to your liking, & there your go. JUst make sure it boneless, skinless, & has no seasoning.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts