Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ugh, Biscuit has had an upset tummy for a couple of days. She ate too many sticks or something. We've been feeding her mashed potatoes and tuna instead of her kibble for 24 hours and the worst seems to be over, but tonight is our very first obedience class and I know I'm going to be giving her a lot of treats, and I'm worried that what I was planning on giving her (teeny tiny hot dog bits) will re-upset her stomach. It's a positive-reinforcement class that uses clicker training so it's really treats-aplenty. They said to use something moist like hot dogs or cheese, not kibble or another dry treat which might be less motivating. Any ideas? I got 120 treats out of a single hot dog so maybe it will be OK, but if you smarties have something better I'd love to hear about it!

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Leeo has had many upset tummies from eating the wrong things outside! The only thing that will make him feel better and will stay down after a bout is boiled chicken and rice and then some cheese? I try to stay away from the grease for a few days after an upset tummy or he will then get gas really bad.

Just be sure there isn't a blockage from the sticks ......

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Nah, no blockage - she just had the runs and (sorry this is gross) there was a little bright red blood yesterday morning. She's been doing her business regularly and hasn't thrown up, and seems rather lively - just a little out of sorts in the intestinal department. She seemed mostly back to normal this morning. We also tried changing her food (unsuccessful switch from TOTW High Prairie to Wetlands) and switched back, and also my guilty husband gave her a large hunk of a leftover lamb-burger, so there are several factors at play. Mashed potatoes and tuna is the lazy girl's chicken and rice.

Do you think cheese would be better than hot dogs?

Ah! That would be ideal. Too bad we got rid of the microwave! I knew I would live to regret that.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Just from experience ... more grease ... more runs! Yuk! The cheese is binding. It does for Leeo when he has had the runs. If the runs are gone ... hot dogs would be OK :)

I have even gone as far as giving Leeo a whole slice of plain bread to bind him up.

EDIT: I stay away from spices also ... they irritate the intestines and the tummy all over again. :)

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do too! I made her mashed potatoes extra watery for that reason. I really think she's fine, but I feel so bad for her. She also just had an ear infection and a bacterial skin infection that I'm sure she caught at the dog park. Poor thing is having a rough month.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
I do too! I made her mashed potatoes extra watery for that reason. I really think she's fine, but I feel so bad for her. She also just had an ear infection and a bacterial skin infection that I'm sure she caught at the dog park. Poor thing is having a rough month.
Poor thing .... sending good thoughts to her and a speedy recovery!

I know I do the same thing and pamper mine when they are under the weather. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts