Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a recipe for a training treat that you could share? I am going broke buying treats to train my darling puppy. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
Turkey hot dogs. Look for the ones with the lowest salt on the label. Cut into chunks depending on the size of your dog. Spread out on a paper plate and microwave until all of the liquid sizzle is gone. Cool and they should be fairly leather-like or even crunchy. I keep them in a baggie on the counter for a week or more. My dogs go nuts for them.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I use boiled chicken breasts cut up and I freeze little portions. I have a small papillon, so it don't take much for us....you can find the bags of frozen, boneless, skinless ones on sale. I use cheap store brands of individually wrapped string cheese, (I found they last longer and don't go bad as the big clump of string cheese packages did) or cheddar cheese. I cut tiny little pieces. Do you have a dehydrator? You can dehydrate liver ......do it out in the garage as it stinks real bad....LOL.....They love that for training....just don't give too much of it .... You can dehydrate chicken, too. I use Zuke's treats....But then I have a tiny dog, so a bag of those lasts us forever it seems....Just remember to use little pieces when you train.....:D....A lady at class does what Brightday does to the hotdogs. I just never gave them to Willie, but he has had a taste of other peoples and LOVED them LOL......Another trainer uses already cooked meatballs. She gave Willie just ONE of those throughout the night in class, as she used him as an example and he was barking some, so she took him and was feeding him that greasy thing.....well, next day his was sick with diarrhea :eek:....so now, he doesn't get treats of other peoples....I give them our stuff to give him if they use him. But she gives them meatballs to her Aussies.....:rolleyes:

Good Luck!!:)

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
when we first went to obedience we had trouble finding things that iorek really liked. we actually got fully cooked chicken meatballs from the grocery store and we would microwave a few and cut them into tiny pieces. they are quite smelly so iorek really liked them. he also LOVES cheddar cheese. one or two slices with 2 meatballs and maybe a little natural balance roll and our treat bag was set for the hour long class. like the others said, hot dogs are a hit too. i got a "recipe" from someone on this site for hot dogs sort of like the microwaved ones but they were baked in the oven until they were dried and crispy. i can't remember it exactly but i know that you had to leave them in the oven with it off for a bit afterwards. iorek really liked them, but they were really salty.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Someone on the forum suggested getting a roll of Natural Balance dog food and cutting it into teeny cubes to use as treats. I thought this was brilliant... it's definitely good for them (a far cry from the nasty chemical-and-by-product-laden nastiness that is often labeled as "treats") and my puppies LOOOOOOVE it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the suggestions. Marley loves hot dogs, cheese, chicken, ... I love the idea of microwaving the hot dogs to dry them out. I just tried a liver treat recipe. The smell is making Marley crazy. The treats have beef liver, eggs, garlic, cornmeal and wheat flour in them. You pulverize everything and then bake it. I'm afraid that Marley will turn her nose up to everything else. It also only cost me about $2 for a big batch. I just had to buy liver because I had everything else on hand.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts