Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
363 Posts
I would hate to be your pet... do you just ignore your dogs when they have to go potty? That just seems silly unless you want them to make a mess on your floor.
Actually you would love to be my pet. He has a great life.

Adult dogs have something called 'bladder control'. They don't have to go to the bathroom every 15 minutes. Many of you regularly crate your dogs for 4 or even 8 hours at a time (extremely rare in my house). So why do you have to jump up every time the dog decides he wants to go outside? He can wait until its convenient for me.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
As I've said, it's much easier to just let the dog who's barking at the door because he wants to pee out than hope that he really doesn't have to go that bad and can hold it. That's just me though.

·
Registered
146 Posts
As I've said, it's much easier to just let the dog who's barking at the door because he wants to pee out than hope that he really doesn't have to go that bad and can hold it. That's just me though.
I am with you.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
While having a schedule is a great idea there may be times (i.e an upset tummy) that the dog can't wait for the scheduled potty break. So I'd rather have another option be it a bell, bark, or the dog just coming to me and letting me know via body language that it needs to go out NOW. And all those "signals" can be abused by our intelligent little (and not so little) manipulators. It's up to us to at least limit the "abuses" we fall for once the dog's trained in our preferrable "signal."

Actually the bells remind me of when my sister's kids were little and the family would go camping. All the kids were given whistles and taught that if they got lost they were to stay in one spot and keep blowing their whistle to help any searchers find them. Wearing your whistle was an absolute rule and anyone caught without theirs was confined to camp for the day. Now you can imagine what it was like the first day or so of a camping trip with kids blowing whistles every few minutes. LOL

·
Registered
482 Posts
The only time my dogs has to hold it is when they are in their crates. If I'm home and one of them have to go, I'm going to let them out. When I have to go to the bathroom, I go. Why should I make them wait? Out of some ridiculous sense of wanting to be in control.. to be the "alpha" or the "boss?" Or simply because I cannot be inconvenienced by an animal? If a person's child has to go potty, are they told "No, you must wait until it's convenient for mommy and daddy's schedule?"

My dogs are like children to me, and I sure as heck am not going to deprive them of the right to go when they have to!

·
Banned
363 Posts
My dogs are like children to me, and I sure as heck am not going to deprive them of the right to go when they have to!
You already deprive him of "his right" to go when you crate them.

You are making a big deal out of the fact I don't jump up to let my dog out every time he wants to, at times making him wait 5-20 minutes until its convenient for me. At the same time you crate your dogs for hours at a time. Mmmmmm whose dog would you rather be, in a crate for hours or having to show a little patience before the door is opened for you?

I only make him wait for my own convenience; however, I am God (to him) and God doesn't jump up off the couch because Fido rings a bell. Fido waits. It re-enforces respect.

·
Registered
482 Posts
You already deprive him of "his right" to go when you crate them.

You are making a big deal out of the fact I don't jump up to let my dog out every time he wants to, at times making him wait 5-20 minutes until its convenient for me. At the same time you crate your dogs for hours at a time. Mmmmmm whose dog would you rather be, in a crate for hours or having to show a little patience before the door is opened for you?

I only make him wait for my own convenience; however, I am God (to him) and God doesn't jump up off the couch because Fido rings a bell. Fido waits. It re-enforces respect.
My dogs are only crated at night, when they are sleeping. I wouldn't even say they are required to hold it in there, because if they wake up in the middle of the night and act like they have to go, I take them out.

Waiting 5 minutes is not a big deal, but that is not what you originally said. You said:
He can wait until its convenient for me.
but did not explain that it would be convenient for you within 5-20 minutes of the dog wanting to get out. My dogs occasionally have to wait 5 minutes or so for me to let them out. If I feel they actually have to go, I'll let them out within 5 minutes (however long it takes me to get my shoes on, etc.), but if I feel they are ringing the bell just to go out and play, they wait longer.

It seems you feel crating is cruel. Personally, my dogs love their crates and sleep MUCH better at night when crated. We tried not crating Luna and she was restless all night... so we started crating again. I see nothing cruel about that.

And LOL to the "I am God to him" comment. Again I say, sometimes the whole "the master is dominant" thing can be taken too far... and I think you've taken it right outta the ballpark.

·
Super Moderator
11,886 Posts
This discussion has veered from "are bells a good idea?" to "who decides when the dog goes outside?"

Nobody who sees me with my dogs would ever suggest that I am over-controlling but, unless they are in obvious distress, I let them out on a rather fixed and reasonable schedule. They get fed the same way and their toileting is quite predictible.

This works for us because my schedule, and that of my wife, is also pretty fixed so the dogs know when they're going out and when they'll eat and everybody gets done what they need to get done.

On the weekends, all bets are off and we're outside as much as possible.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Wow. I can smell the testosterone and manliness from here. This cracks me up.

I find it downright silly to think of myself as my dog's god. Ridiculous. I practice NILIF just like anyone else. Anything beyond that is silliness. I think it's ridiculous to walk around "demanding respect" and "re-inforcing my roll as the alpha". Makes me lol to be honest. I've never done either with either of my dogs and both behave perfectly in public.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts