Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
It will take some training, but I taught my dog to go potty on a cue. Teach the dog to "go potty" on cue. Take the dog out (preferably on leash to prevent wandering/getting distracted), give your cue, and stand there all boring and wait for them to do their business. It helps if you are already pretty sure that they need to do their business. Mine is "go pee". Immediately after they pee, mark with a "yes" or "good girl!" and then race back inside for something really awesome like a bit of steak or chicken or cheese. If your dog is all about toys, you can run inside and reward with a few rounds of fetch or tug with a special ball/toy that only comes out after potty time.

I will readily admit that I never had an issue with my babydog (who is now 2.5y) not coming back inside after pottying without any work on it, but the above ^^ is how I am going to train this exact thing for my next dog.

Separate from that, it is NEVER a bad idea to teach a rock-solid recall. A recall can never be *too* solid, IMO.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.