Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last 3 weeks, I have had an ongoing problem with Aidan. He grabs my leg and humps me and when I push him off, he grabs my clothing in his teeth. We go through this every single night, and he ends up in his crate or blocked from the room I am in because he will not stop, no matter what. He will not be distracted from his mission.

The daycare owner told me about Pet Corrector, which is a training spray that is compressed air. I bought it.

I do not show it to Aidan, or point it at him. I experimented with it when Aidan was not around. It makes a loud noise if I press the button all the way down, and a quieter hiss if I don't.

The first night, I used it twice. The first time was when the humping behavior started. I told him "off". He ignored me. I pushed him away, he held onto my clothes with his teeth. One short quieter hiss of compressed air, and Aidan was startled and did not resume the behavior all evening.

A couple of hours later, I heard someone in the kitchen. Aidan was counter cruising again. I stood in the living room. The dining room is between the living room and the kitchen. Aidan could not see me. I hit the compressed air button, and Aidan came trotting out of the kitchen. He did not resume counter cruising that night.

He was not afraid at all, and he did not avoid me. He was his normal self.

This morning, he was excited to go "play with the doggies". He pulled me very hard to the car, as usual. I imitated that hiss sound and he stopped pulling, came to my side, sat in the heel position and looked up at me. We resumed going to the car without further problem. Once we got there, he got excited and started jumping around. I hissed again, and he sat down and waited for me to open the car door and tell him to jump in.

I do not know why this works, or whether it will continue to work. So this is an FYI post, in case anyone else wants to try it.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts