Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 9wk old lab and a 6wk old husky, and have been reading everything I can get my hands on for months about training etc. But I want to hear from real owners and get real suggestions. I am sure they will vary but I want your opinions and expertise. Is it too early to start training them as far as basic commands? If you think I should start now, how do you think I should begin? They are both too young for puppy obedience class yet, and I know they have to be trained seperately, but what's the best way to start?

·
Banned
59 Posts
You can start training any time, in my opinion! The 6wk old may take a little work, but you can always attempt the "sit" command and work on that until she reaches about 8 weeks of age.

To teach her sit, simply get her attention, show her the treat, and slowly start to bring it over her nose. She will naturally sit down to get a better look at it. When she sits, praise her and give her the treat! That's just one method that works for me, but there are numerous ways to do it. Keep in mind that puppies that young tire very quickly, especially when they're using their brains to comprehend what you want from them. So 5 minutes of "sit" each day, or widely spread out throughout the day, should do the trick.

As for your nine week old, go for it! Start with the basic "sit," "stay," "down," etc. Teach him one at a time and remember to do it for a short amount of time throughout the day.

Deezel, who is also a lab, learned to roll over by 11 weeks, so it's really never too early to start training by the time you have them living with you!

Good luck, they're cuties!

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Training always starts on the first day. You start building confidence and trust, introduce the house rules, show them where the potty area is, all the basic commands of sit, down, stand, come, wait at the door, no bark, no bite. Socialization also starts on the first day. There's no reason you cannot teach both dogs together infact, they often learn quicker that way.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much for the responses! I am very happy that you both think I should start now!

There's no reason you cannot teach both dogs together infact, they often learn quicker that way.
Wow, really? I had always read that it should be done seperately, especially with Huskies. It would definately help to be able to do it together!

·
Banned
59 Posts
I totally agree with Tooney on the suject of socialization, especially for your 6 week old due to her leaving her litter mates a little earlier than usual. However, just be sure you socialize them around dogs you know. Puppies, especially ones as young as your husky, have not completed all of their required puppy shots/dewormers. This means that they can pick up parasites and other health related issues from strange dogs.

With this, I would also like to suggest not bringing either of them to a dog park; those places are just infested with creepy crawlies that your puppies can easily pick up.

And I also don't see much of a problem with training them together! They can learn from watching one another. It can, however, also be distracting to them, so just do what works for you if training them together doesn't quite keep them focused.

And yes, start potty training and familiarizing them with their surroundings as soon as possible. Don't expect too much from the 6 week old, but she can certainly start to learn :]

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great! Thanks!

Yea, I am not a big fan of dog parks, so no problem there. We did go to the regular park today, but only after I asked their vet if it was okay.

·
Banned
59 Posts
Great! It's good to start familiarizing them with different sounds, smells, and sights. That way, they won't be fearful dogs.

Unrelated - Oops, I just realized your husky is a boy (at least that's what I'm assuming by the name in your signature). Sorry for calling him a she!

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Doing two together is a common tactic in obedience classes. Dogs will imitate each other/learn from each other...especially if one dog gets treated lets say for a quick sit. The slow one will say WTH and next time will often be much quicker to sit. The slow one should always be rewarded for any extra effort/promptness even if he/she always loses the 'race' with the other dog. It's the promptness to commands that you're after...not having a 'winner' and a 'loser'.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts