Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have a few questions about my new puppy (approx 7 weeks?) - I adopted him from a shelter.

1. I have been crate training the puppy - at night (2nd night in my house) the past two nights I have set an alarm at about 330 AM just to wake him up and go outside to see if he has to pee....Should I bother setting an alarm or wait until he cries to wake me up??

2. Should I bring him outside on a leash to go potty? If he is on the leash, should I let him lead me around the yard, or stay stern at one spot in the yard and not let him leave that area?

3. I tried to give my puppy a walk yesterday - I realize he is very young, but when I put him on the leash and start to walk he lays down or tries to stand his ground in one area and not walk. Should I give him a tug?? I tried, he doesn't move so i end up forcing him (kinda dragging).

Thanks for the help!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
1. Chances are as long as he thinks the crate is his "personal space", he'll probably wake you up with his cries if he needs to pee. That being said, it can't hurt to set your alarm just in case. The likelihood of accidents decreases considerably that way.

2. Absolutely keep him on a leash! It's good practise for when you start putting more focus on leash training. Also, definitely let him wander. Dogs seem to feel the need to find the -perfect- spot to do their business. I've had dogs who simply wouldn't go if I didn't give them enough slack to wander and sniff.

3. Do not under any circumstances tug on a 7 week old puppy! Their little spines are still developing and surprisingly delicate. Besides, if you start dragging him around by the neck he will start to associate the leash and collar with unpleasantness. That's the last thing you want. Try coaxing him with small treats to get him to walk. And don't take him too far. Overexerting young pups can cause problems in their muscular and skeletal development.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
1) Setting an alarm is a good idea. Some puppies can make it through the night if they are good sleepers. If your puppy sleeps good you could probably set your alarm for a little bit later and then just gradually extend the time until you reach your normal waking time. If you puppy cries in the middle of the night go back to setting your alarm a little earlier. It's my preference to take puppies out on MY schedule right from the start rather than allowing them to wake me during the night.

2) Generally, it's recommended to take puppies to a designated potty area every time. This area will become loaded with his pheromones, which will later stimulate him to go there again. It will be easier for you to clean up and faster to get him to eliminate right away when you take him out. As a reward for going, you can then him freedom to roam the yard.

3) Put a light leash on him and allow him to drag it around in the house and yard, this will help get him quickly used to the feel of it. Do this only when you are around to supervise so he doesn't get caught on anything or chew up the leash.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts