Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Training outdoor dog to visit inside

477 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Shell 
#1 ·
I have an energetic, loving, smart, semi obedient 7 month old pup that stays outside and I want to start bringing her inside when I'm home from work for a little cuddle time. Do any of you have training ideas? I have an elderly father that lives with me I don't keep her inside because I'm scared she will chew on my dad's oxygen lines. FYI I'm a landscape designer with a huge manicured yard covered patio and lots of outdoor furniture. I'm not keeping my baby girl tied to a tree or in harsh conditions.
Dog Mammal Vertebrate Canidae Dog breed

See less See more
#2 ·
Try starting with tethering her to you. Comfortable wide collar or harness and a leash connected to your belt with a clip/carabiner. She can't leave your sight this way but isn't confined totally either.

Have a large size crate availablw, something for a dog twice her size if you have the floor space available. Put a few fleece blankets (the cheap walmart kind) in it, fleece doesn't shread into dangerous strings if chewed a bit and is soft for the dog to burrow into.

Use the crate when you have to leave the room without the dog. Need to shower and dress? Pop dog into crate with a couple pieces of kibble as reward.

I've adjusted strays into house training and crate training just fine. You have a step up because your dog already knows you. Its very doable

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.