Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people, 2 questions today.
I've been training my puppy to sit and to lay down for quite a while now. The problem is, she doesn't really seem to be understanding the vocal command for lay down, just the hand signal i do, since my training consisted of baiting her into position with a treat. So she only goes down when my hand goes down too. What can I do?
The other thing is... I´ve been working hard on that down command and now, when I'm holding treats, trying to teach her something new, she immediatly goes into a down position expecting a treat....Which makes teaching other tricks quite difficult. Any suggestions on what to do?
Thank you for you attention
PS: Any suggestion on easy/simple tricks I could teach her?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi,

Just wondering what kind of dog and how old? It sounds like she needs more work with the vocal command. She is just confused about what you want but the fact that she is eager and trying is great.

There are lots of training, trick videos on you tube if you want to find more. Usuallly, giving you her paw is a an easy trick to start. I say ..high five..it sounds cooler..lol.

Good luck

·
Registered
703 Posts
Hi people, 2 questions today.
I've been training my puppy to sit and to lay down for quite a while now. The problem is, she doesn't really seem to be understanding the vocal command for lay down, just the hand signal i do, since my training consisted of baiting her into position with a treat. So she only goes down when my hand goes down too. What can I do?
The other thing is... I´ve been working hard on that down command and now, when I'm holding treats, trying to teach her something new, she immediatly goes into a down position expecting a treat....Which makes teaching other tricks quite difficult. Any suggestions on what to do?
Thank you for you attention
PS: Any suggestion on easy/simple tricks I could teach her?
I have a puppy who is very food motivated so I make sure she can't see the food (I keep it in a little fanny pack.)

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Vocal cue:
1. Say "Down!", wait a fraction of a second, if she doesn't go down, lure with your hand, and treat (use a tiny treat for a taste, not a snack)
2. Repeat, but wait 2 seconds. If she goes down, don't motion with your hand, but praise and treat.
3. Repeat, waiting 5 seconds.... and so on.

After she will go Down by voice cue, then:
1. Say "Down", and after she goes down, praise immediately, but wait 1 sec. before treating.
2. Repeat, waiting 2 sec,.... then 4 sec.... then 8 sec.....continuing incrementally up to 30 sec.
3. If she gets up before the treat, then repeat with the previous number of seconds that was successful.
4. Continue doing this for about 3 days.

Other cues: Sit, Down, Stand, Come, Name (looking at you), Shake, Speak, Turn, Nudge an object (with nose), Touch an object (with paw), Wag tail, Shake it off( shake body), Shake Left, Shake Right, Turn Left, Turn Right, catch (a ball), Fetch (a ball), Fetch (other objects) ..... Those should keep you busy for a few hours :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts