Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got to pick up my rescue pup after her 2 day drive from Fl. She's about 4 1/2 months old, absolutely adorable, is crate trained, almost fully housebroken, but she refuses to walk up the stairs in my house.

At first I thought she was just scared because she had never been up stairs..yet she'll happily run up the stairs for our deck.

Any tips on how I can teach her to walk upstairs? I've tried excited voices and treats. She's watched my dog walk up and down them waiting for her. She wont go past the first step and she's starting to get too heavy to carry!

Oh, and I know it's only been one day so I can't expect much from her..just trying to teach her as soon as possible.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
The stairs to your deck may be very different to her from the stairs inside. Remember, dogs don't generalize well, so where you and I say "what? stairs are stairs!" she may see every set of stairs as being totally different. My old dog had no trouble with any set of stairs- until we moved into our house and then he was terrified of going down the stairs to the second floor. He'd run right up and then cry at the top for us to carry him down. Yeah, at 90lbs that wasn't happening.

We spent a week luring him down one step at a time with the highest value treats for him- chicken livers. (ew!) That's all I can suggest. If there are no treats that work for her (chicken, fish, liver, hot dogs), is there a toy she likes, or a game she loves to play as a reward?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pretty much immediately after posting this I went downstairs and grabbed tons of pupperoni. She loves it (it's what she takes her pills in). It took a good 30 minutes to get up the stairs, but it happened. I put treats on every step and sounded like a lunatic with all the baby talk and praise. Dakota (my first dog) went crazy and thought he was the one being praised for walking up the stairs, lol. Needless to say I went through a lot of treats but she's now upstairs and I didn't need to carry her!

Next we'll work on going down the stairs, lol.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Good job!

Dakota makes me laugh. My old dog was so attuned to "good" that if you said it in any context, like "good night" or "that pizza was good" he'd got all excited and happy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts