Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,218 Posts
@3GSD4IPO a dog that is task trained to help mitigate the symptoms of any psychiatric illness (and public access trained, of course) is a Psychiatric Service Dog in the US. Tasks for a PSD include things like redirecting and grounding, alerting to panic attacks, medication reminders, and deep pressure therapy as Sweet Potato mentioned. An ESA is not task trained, and only helps the owner by being something to love and take care of. So long as your disability is disabling to the point where having a task-trained dog can improve your quality of life, you can essentially have a service dog for any disability, physical or mental. Even undiagnosed disabilities, in some cases.

In the US that is. Many countries have stricter regulations.

·
Super Moderator
3,218 Posts
Ah, found it! @Sweet Potato I've heard good things about this website: Psychiatric Service Dog Partners: Guidance, Info, & Support

They do a lot of education and support for PSD handlers, including resources about owner training and your legal rights. I'm not a SD handler myself (and PSD don't exist at all in my current country of residence - or rather, home trained ones do, but they have no public access rights), but I've been fascinated by service dog work for a long time. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
3,218 Posts
Glad to help! There's so much misinformation and misunderstanding about service dog law out there. I had to go out of my way to educate myself when I started working retail in the US some years ago, because I was kind of appalled at how little we were trained on what to do with service dog handlers in the store (nothing, we were given nothing. Maybe managers got more but...). Last thing I wanted to do was make life harder for a handler.

One thing to consider carefully is that you will encounter confrontation like this as a SD handler. You'll get gatekeepers (store managers/employees) asking questions they're not legally allowed to ask, or telling you that they need to see 'papers' or 'registration' for your dog (this is often because people have shown documentation from those scam SD registries before). You'll get random people insisting they're allowed to touch and distract your dog, or that you can't have a service dog because you don't 'look' disabled, or even asking invasive questions about your disabilities. It sucks, but I understand that it's something every team encounters because the education just isn't there.

I know some people with anxiety issues choose not to go the SD route for these reasons, or stick to using the dog in dog-friendly areas rather than dealing with the extra attention you get when you have to do public access with the dog. Not trying to discourage you at all! Just want you to consider all the aspects so you can be prepared.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts