Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
The most important thing be that she be as mentally stable as possible, and exposed to as wide a variety of things as possible. When the vest is on, she is working, and shouldn't be visiting other people or dogs. Also, from what I've heard from others, a PTSD dog cannot be the least bit reactive or protective, since they will feed off of your reactions.

One thing to be aware of is that a SDiT may not have the same right of access as a fully trained dog. And honestly, until she is completely task trained, she should be identified as being "in training". I have friends who trained their own service dogs, and didn't remove their "in training" designation until the dogs were nearly three years old, and they had been training/working since they were 8 week old puppies.

Also, there is no requirement in the US that a service dog be certified/registered with any organization. It's training that makes a service dog, not certification. Most of the "get your pet certified as a service dog" websites are just a scam. According to the ADA, a business can ask two questions: 1) is that a service dog?, and 2) what tasks does it do?. They cannot ask for any kind of proof of registration or certification. And yes, if your dog is being a nuisance, while they cannot refuse you entry, they can ask you to remove the dog from their premises.

Reactions: Sweet Potato

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
As DaySleeprs said, in the US, Psychiatric Service Dogs are task trained to help mitigate the symptoms of psychiatric illness (specific tasks vary depending on the handler's needs). They are more than just an ESA, and have the same right of access that any other service dog has.

Reactions: Sweet Potato

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Yes, as DaySleepers said, you will likely run into stuff like that a lot as a SD handler. :( I've got friends that use service dogs (one has a Doberman Pinscher, the other a German Shepherd, a Belgian Malinois, and is now training a Flat Coated Retriever puppy), and some of their stories have been hair-raising.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts