Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys,
I've read some great stuff on this thread (is thread the right term, im new to this!). I recently rescued this little terrier mix pup when he was 9 weeks, he just turned 14 weeks on friday, his name is Riot. And he sure is a Riot! His training has gone surprisingly well so far. I started with teaching him basic commands, Sit-Stay-Come-Down, which came pretty easy to him, and once he got those down for the most part I started incorporating Drop it, OFF!, No Bite!, Focus, Settle, and Go Bed. With each command I began teaching him with treats and every so often I will say the command without a treat and just lots of praise and will keep doing that until he can do each command without a treat every time and praise is enough. Because he is teething, the No Bite! is the most challenging so far, but I have been redirecting with a chew toy right away and if he still continues biting what he is not supposed to (hands, feet, etc) then I say No bite loudly in a stern voice to get his attention thats its not okay and ignore him for 20 seconds, oh and i quit playing tug of war with him. This method seems to be working the best. At first I was doing the Yelp method then realized that it wasnt working and I believe its because he wasnt with a litter the first weeks of his life, he was born with only one other sister who died so never had the "natural" lessons that pups get when with a litter. Drop it! he is improving slowly, I started teaching Riot this when we play fetch inside and the last week ive been working on it with him outside because he recently began grabbing up leaves or sticks when i take him to potty and my first instinct was to chase him to get it out of his mouth and quickly learned he was going to think it was a game. So now i don't chase him and i always make sure i have treats just in case when we go outside and do the same drop it routine like we do with his toys. He's a smart little pup so I think he'll get it if i stay on top of training, especially his first year. I cant wait for the day he knows all his commands and we can work on more fun stuff like agility training and tricks. I've only taught him to tricks so far just to mix it up a little, which are Crawl and Spin. It's hard to not want to teach him all the fun stuff first before his basic commands he needs to know!
I make sure he does the commands he really has gotten down a few times a day then add two or three that hes still working on throughout the day/night as well.
Anyways I hope this wasn't too long and boring and that I posted in the right place, I'm still getting the hang of this site! It's awesome though so far thanks to all of you!
love and peace

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Hello and welcome! Sounds like you are doing a good job. :) I agree with doxiemommy, Pics please? :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi! Thanks guys:)
And pics...yes, I've been trying to figure that out! I guess I need to make a photobucket account first so should have some up today sometime!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts